running iqwic on mixed win2k and xp networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noizehead

noizehead
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:14 AM

We are running an IQnet with several pcs using win2k or xp os. it turned out that IQwic dataframes which have been designed on a win2k system don't run on xp systems and vice versa. strangly in both cases loading the dataframe stops with the same windows error message:

Access violation at address 004595E in module "IQ.EXE". Read of address 00000198.

It doesn't matter wether the pc is connected to any iq component or not. Any idea?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

At first I though you were refering to an "IQnet" system with IQ for Windows and the Legacy 20ma component system, then I saw that you said "IQwic dataframes" So, I am going to assume that you are refering to an IQ network system using IQwic software.

The statement is an MS Windows error statement and often means the software is having trouble reading information from the Hard Drive.

I haven't heard of anything like this happening between Win2K and XP systems.

*How did you transfer the file between computers? If the file was transferred did you use a CD? Copying to a CD will change the files "Attributes" to read only.
Actually this does sound like a file sharing issue. You might check the file and folder properties of the dataframe as well.

*You should also check that all the computers on the network are running the same version of the software.

#3 T Harrison

T Harrison
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:02 PM

I'd just like to add that I regularly get Access violations running IQwic offline under XP with no components connected. I have experienced this from IQwin 5.11 onwards. I wondered if it might be graphics resolution related, as I run two monitors at 1280 x 960.

However using the same dataframe on-line with a WinXP laptop using lower resolution (1024 x 768 I think), the program is very stable.

It often seems to occur when closing a component control panel (8810C), but I haven't found any other repeatable identifiable actions that cause crashing.
The dataframe in question was started on Win98 and ported over from IQwin to IQwic, and has been through hundreds of revisions.

Have also had similar, albeit less frequent problems with various dataframes running under WinNT4. Haven't tried Win2K.

Hope this helps in the ongoing quest for bug-free perfectly behaved software!  :blink:

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:26 PM

Tim,

In IQwin 5.11 our programmers increased the sensitivity of the software to certain errors that were not looked at before. Thus that version of the software showed a large number of nuisance errors. This was corrected in IQwin 5.12.

As for the resolution question I can't test it, as my computer will not give me the 1280x960 only 1280x768. I will check with the engineers and see what they say.

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

I have checked back with our engineers to see if they had any answers. Other than some funny window jumping when you open or close a control panel they can't see any Access Violation errors.
Is there a particular function when the Error occurs? Also have you tried a fresh dataframe to see if it happens only in the older dataframe?