Crown K2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wesley

Wesley
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:34 PM

Hello. I have 2 K2's in a amp case just big enough to house them. When they are first powered up when they are cool they are quiet as a mouse with no noise at all.
Once they warm up after 15 min or so one of the amps start to make a 60 cycle hum. It is annoying because this amp drives 2 JBL subs so they are in the right range to really be noticable. The other acts the same but not as loud. I am not pushing them hard and they don't get real hot but the top one is alway warmer then the lower one. Do the crown amps hum a little when they get warm or do you think this a problem? If I completely disconnect the input the noise goes away but i don't understand why heat would have an effect on this. Thanks for your input. Wes...  tongue.gif

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

Crown amps shouldn't hum when they get warm. Removing the inputs and having the hum go away would point more towards a system related problem than an amp related issue. However, you could always have them looked at if you have questions.

If the amps are stacked one on top of the other the top amp should be warmer. The K series uses convection cooling of the insides by using the chassis to dissipate heat. Since Heat tends to rise and the chassis are touching some heat from the lower one can pass to the second. As long as the TLC indicators on the front panels are not lit the amplifiers are well within their thermal operating area.

#3 FtJackson

FtJackson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

Ensure you have a good ground source at the power source.

Try swapping the inputs of the amps.  
Does the hum follow the input?

If yes, check input connections and components.

If no, try swapping the outputs.
Does the hum follow the input?

If yes, check output connections and components.