Hi/Lo pass filter meaning & settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astaroth

Astaroth
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:22 PM

Hi!  Mr. Glass, this is my first post.  It's sure to be a winner...

Our band uses a p.a. for the drums because the guitarist uses (4) cabs & the bassist uses (4) cabs.  We couldn't hear the drums & nobody would turn down.  It's very aggressive music, blackmetal.

The p.a. was being utilized like this:

12 channel mixer into 2 way crossover/maximizer
Highs into one side of Crown CE4000 into (2) JBL JRX 115 cabs "daisy chained" to create a 4 ohm load at 1200 watts.
Lows into other side of CE4000 to (1) JBL MPro 118S sub cab with a 4 ohm load at 1200 watts.

Both sides of the amp's hi & lo filter are set to "FLAT".

We purchased another MPro 118S and a CE2000.  I contacted JBL concerning getting "peak performance" from these cabinets and there recommendation was as follows,

"for (2) JRX115 cabs daisy chained @ 4 ohms use 2000 watts, for (2) MPro 118S cabs daisy chained @ 2 ohms use 4000 watts to get peak performance from the speakers."

Now that we have the gear, the only way I can think of hooking it up to get close to those power levels is to do this:

Highs into the CE2000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) JRX115 creating a 4 ohm load = 1950 watts

Lows into the CE4000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) MPro118S creating a 1 ohm load,  = 3600+ watts

Could I do this if the filters were set correctly and the voltage gain lowered?

I've run out of money and rack space, so getting the most out of what exists is all we can do.  

I really anticipate your wisdom and insight into this matter.

Thanks!!!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Astaroth @ Jul 30 2005, 12:22 PM)
Hi!  Mr. Glass, this is my first post.  It's sure to be a winner...

Our band uses a p.a. for the drums because the guitarist uses (4) cabs & the bassist uses (4) cabs.  We couldn't hear the drums & nobody would turn down.  It's very aggressive music, blackmetal.

Highs into one side of Crown CE4000 into (2) JBL JRX 115 cabs "daisy chained" to create a 4 ohm load at 1200 watts.
Lows into other side of CE4000 to (1) JBL MPro 118S sub cab with a 4 ohm load at 1200 watts.

We purchased another MPro 118S and a CE2000.  I contacted JBL concerning getting "peak performance" from these cabinets and there recommendation was as follows,

"for (2) JRX115 cabs daisy chained @ 4 ohms use 2000 watts, for (2) MPro 118S cabs daisy chained @ 2 ohms use 4000 watts to get peak performance from the speakers."

Now that we have the gear, the only way I can think of hooking it up to get close to those power levels is to do this:

Highs into the CE2000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) JRX115 creating a 4 ohm load = 1950 watts

Lows into the CE4000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) MPro118S creating a 1 ohm load,  = 3600+ watts

I've run out of money and rack space, so getting the most out of what exists is all we can do. 

Thanks!!!
View Post

I would recommend that you put the amplifiers in the Stereo/Two Channel mode as you have two amps and donít need to daisy chain speakers anymore. Put the JRX115 boxes one per channel on the CE2000 and the MPro subs on the CE4000 one per channel. This will be the best power match, you will retain individual level controls at the amplifiers and be able to do stereo if needed.

Yes, you could put the CE2000 into Bridge-Mono and get 1950 watts/4 ohms shared between the two speakers (975 watts each) but this is more than the recommended power of 250-500 watts by JBL and very close to the peak power rating of 1000 watts. The CE2000 falls nicely into the recommended range at 400 watts/8 ohms per channel.

The MPro subs want an amp that will do about 1200 watts at 4 ohms each and the CE4000 already does that per channel in Two Channel mode. In Bridge-Mono mode the CE4000 is not rated or recommended to do the 2 ohms that the two 4-ohm MPros would show as a load to the amplifier when daisy chained together.
smile.gif

#3 Astaroth

Astaroth
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Aug 2 2005, 11:08 AM)
Hi!† Mr. Glass, this is my first post.† It's sure to be a winner...

Our band uses a p.a. for the drums because the guitarist uses (4) cabs & the bassist uses (4) cabs.† We couldn't hear the drums & nobody would turn down.† It's very aggressive music, blackmetal.

We purchased another MPro 118S and a CE2000.† I contacted JBL concerning getting "peak performance" from these cabinets and there recommendation was as follows,

Lows into the CE4000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) MPro118S creating a 1 ohm load,† = 3600+ watts

I've run out of money and rack space, so getting the most out of what exists is all we can do.†

Thanks!!!
View Post

I would recommend that you put the amplifiers in the Stereo/Two Channel mode as you have two amps and donít need to daisy chain speakers anymore. Put the JRX115 boxes one per channel on the CE2000 and the MPro subs on the CE4000 one per channel. This will be the best power match, you will retain individual level controls at the amplifiers and be able to do stereo if needed.

Yes, you could put the CE2000 into Bridge-Mono and get 1950 watts/4 ohms shared between the two speakers (975 watts each) but this is more than the recommended power of 250-500 watts by JBL and very close to the peak power rating of 1000 watts. The CE2000 falls nicely into the recommended range at 400 watts/8 ohms per channel.

The MPro subs want an amp that will do about 1200 watts at 4 ohms each and the CE4000 already does that per channel in Two Channel mode. In Bridge-Mono mode the CE4000 is not rated or recommended to do the 2 ohms that the two 4-ohm MPros would show as a load to the amplifier when daisy chained together.
smile.gif
View Post

THANX!!!

Also, what are your recommendations for the hi/lo pass filter settings (considerigng there's a crossover in the rig) and the input sensitivity voltage on the Crown amps?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Astaroth @ Aug 4 2005, 09:30 PM)

Our band uses a p.a. for the drums because the guitarist uses (4) cabs & the bassist uses (4) cabs.† We couldn't hear the drums & nobody would turn down.† It's very aggressive music, blackmetal.

We purchased another MPro 118S and a CE2000.† I contacted JBL concerning getting "peak performance" from these cabinets and there recommendation was as follows,

Lows into the CE4000 bridged mono into daisy chained (2) MPro118S creating a 1 ohm load,† = 3600+ watts

I've run out of money and rack space, so getting the most out of what exists is all we can do.†

Thanks!!!
View Post

smile.gif
View Post

THANX!!!

Also, what are your recommendations for the hi/lo pass filter settings (considerigng there's a crossover in the rig) and the input sensitivity voltage on the Crown amps?
View Post

Leave the amp in the 1.4 volt sensitivity setting.

Since you are using a system x-over I would leave the Hi/Lo Pass filters off. smile.gif

#5 Astaroth

Astaroth
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Aug 5 2005, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE(Astaroth @ Aug 4 2005, 09:30 PM)

Thanks!!!
View Post

smile.gif
View Post

THANX!!!

View Post

Leave the amp in the 1.4 volt sensitivity setting.

Since you are using a system x-over I would leave the Hi/Lo Pass filters off. smile.gif
View Post

You're the MAN!!!  Thanks again!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and how incredibly FAST your replies are.  Thanks for all you do to make this world a better place for all of us....

Eric