Itech amplifier questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matthodkinson

matthodkinson
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:42 PM

Are there articles explaining the use of the AES input on the Itech amplifiers? what is the dBFS input sensitivity of the amplifiers?

There are limiter settings in the vertec aplication guide for itech amplifiers but these are in the analog world but the Itech comp limiters are in the digital world what is the convertion for crown amplifiers, 18 or 24 db

Are there any examples of how Crown calulate the peak voltage & power for drivers as I cant get my maths to match, but its late here so it may be brain ache.

Thanks

Matt

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

dbfs is relative to the digital level full scale (dbfs ) and represents the highest level possible in digital gear. Full scale digital input level is the level above which digital clipping will occur in the A/D converters.
0 dBFS being the highest level possible indicates a digital number with all digits equal to "1", the highest possible sample.
The lowest possible sample for 16 bit audio is 0000 0000 0000 0001, which is equal to -96 dbfs.  Therefore the dynamic range for 16-bit systems is 96 dB.  For 20-bit digital audio it would be 120 dB dynamic range and for 24 bit digital audio it is 144 dB. I-Tech amplifiers use 24-bit A/D, D/A converters and have an onboard 16-24 bit converter.
The AES inputs (already being digital) bypass the analog input stage and have nothing to do with the input sensitivity setting as 0 dbfs will give you full rated output of the amplifier when the level attenuators are turned all the way up.

The compressor/limiters work like any other compressor/limiters in that when a predetermined input level is reached they kick in with their predetermined parameters.

As for what settings to use for Peak Voltage and Average Power we recommend you contact JBL as they have settings for the I-Tech amplifiers for the VerTec speakers. We also have some of them as a downloadable file from the Downloads section of this forum.