• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sthomps

sthomps
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased this amplifier and after a couple of months the thermal lights started flickering on both input 1 & 2.

I took the amp out of the rack, plugged it in standalone, the lights continued to flicker and now all I get is a blank display on the front.

Any ideas or is the amp dead?

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hello,

Please give me the serial number and 'date' code of the amp. Then you'll have to open the amp, remove the top cover.

1. Verify the display board : If the module's connector is grey, then you may have a bad display module; Also confirm board's p/n : It should be 138911-5; The -5 is important! Anything below -5, I would replace the display board.
2. Verify the stand-up resistors in the SMPS (sample mode power supply) section; If they're bluish and 'fat' they have to be replaced.
3. You may have a faulty capacitor in the SMPS section;

As you can see, unless you're a technician, I would consult with my favorite local authorized Crown service center before attempting any repair. Though, there is nothing wrong in looking under the hood! :)

Alain

#3 sthomps

sthomps
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the response.

I would love to open up the amp but I fear that would void my warranty. I've already received an SRA to get the unit serviced by Crown.

I have to say that Crown's customer service is top notch so far.  They appear to stand behind their product and support their customers.

#4 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Glad to have been of service! :)
Come back and let us know how the service went!

Alain

#5 sthomps

sthomps
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Service was excellent.   Crown sent me out a shipping box, I packed it up, sent it in, couple weeks later had my amplifier back in my rack.

It's hard to find good service these days and Crown delivered for me - props to them!

#6 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

You know what? From the beginning I've been describing the XTI1000 display module! The XLS is different from the XTI amplifier.
The probable cause of the XLS display malfunction could be caused by bad LV rails or a faulty IC (CPU). The solution would have been to swap the display module in any case (or the main board!).
Finally, the replacement was done and you're happy with your unit returned and back in your rack! :)

Alain