• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyzcar

johnnyzcar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hello all,
I have been reading the forums here and searching for info on what could be causing my amp not to boot or start.
When I turn on the amp the leds light and I get the display for a moment but right when the blue power led should come on it shuts off.
If I leave it alone it seems to try again but it never shows the leds or the front panel like the first time I press the power button.

I took the top cover off and blew out the dust. It seems this amp was used in a dirty environment. Upon inspection everything looked ok as far as burnt
or leaky caps etc. One thing I noticed was that towards the back of the board there are 2 heat sinks right in front of the fan. One of them seems to be loose.
Almost like the solder joints for the FETs were bad but I double checked and its almost like the legs of the fets are damaged inside the fet itself because
the solder is solid. The other heat sink is sold this one wiggles around and does not feel right. Not that feel has anything to do with it but something is definitely going on here. I have obtained a service manual and grabbed a few screen shots of the part I am referring to.

I have a good multi tester and would like to start troubleshooting, I have some electronics experience and have made a few projects/repaired things etc
so all i need is sort of a check list type thing to get me going and Ill post back my progress.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hello Johnny,

You were probably very close to the issue! Here are some guidelines for XTI/CDI evaluation :

First thing I usually do with the XTI/CDI/DSI is to completely disassemble the main board and remove it from the chassis;  Then, verify the Cequel Tracker module : Verify the fets and the diodes on both modules; Also, verify that no tab is shorting with the heatsink (could have punched through the silpad)!
Note :    Tracker module may come in two flavors : (1) normal Al heatsink, with green silpad; (2) Black finish heatsink, with ceramic isolator;
Secondo :     Verify o/p devices and its two pertinent drivers (on a small heatsink); If you have a fault with the drivers, verify the [4] diode string located between the output heatsinks;
Tertio :     And, since I suppose at this point that all fares well, we’ll verify the smps circuit : Check the IGBTs (chopper transistors);
Quatro :   Verify the smps kickstart cap (220UF 35V) and the smaller .1UF 25V bypass caps (ie. C186).

I suspect an output failure (drivers, diodes, maybe an output device or two, and a Tracker fault).

Hope this helps!

Alain

#3 johnnyzcar

johnnyzcar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Alain,
Here is another finding and maybe this will explain more.
If I hold the prev and next buttons on the front panel the amp will turn on anf the main fan runs and all leds light. The amp stays powered on thru this the whole time.
Could this only be a firmware bug? I noticed the amp manufacture date is 2008.

As far as your tests go, I have the board out of the chassis and I'm ready to test. Could you elaborate a bit more as I am not sure the locations of the items you mention.
Like where i should I ground the meter probe? Feel free to PM me anything you think would help.

Thanks again :)

#4 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Try this : Power up; Once powered up, press the three front buttons until the display toggles; Press the Next button until you get to the firmware version. To exit, press the Select button. You can return whenever you want. The amp info displays : PS (power supply), Ch1 and Ch2 temperature readings, the firmware version, and some other info.
The behavior with the Next and Prev buttons have changed : it is now a [soft] toggle to lock and unlock the front display. The [hard] toggle lock is applicable through the Band Manager or Audio Architect applications (available at HiQNet).
Also, the earlier firmware only supplied 10 presets; The current firmware now has 20 available presets.

Follow some [earlier] topic on handling older firmware updates.

Alain