#1 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hello,

Here is a link to an image of my current setup:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

The speakers are JBL EON 1500.  They are connected to my Xti 2000 amp.  The subs are JBLs JRX 218s 18in. subs.  They are connected to my Xti 4000 amp.  The problem I have is that I don't hear as much bass as I should.  I have the sub tunnings file loaded in the Xti 4000 but I feel like I may be using the incorrect configuration on the amp, at least for the subs.

Based on the image above and my equipment, what configuration would you suggest I use to get the most kick out of my speakers/subs?

Thank you!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hello Ruben,
I would need you to describe all the settings done by you, or did you only configure the amp via the JBL JRX preset files? What other piece of gear do you have in the signal chain? With what track did you check the problem with?

Do you have signal summing on the XTi 4000?

Is it in a room? Have you had it outside and experienced the same problem?

It would help just a bit regarding the SPL and avoiding comb filter effect to put the two subs together and not apart.
Avi

#3 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hi Avi,

Thank you for the reply!

My laptop connects to a sound card which then connects to my mixer through RCA.  The mixer is then connected to the amps through a RCA to XLR cables.  Speakers are connected to their own channels on the Xti 2000 through speakon cables, in Stereo mode.  The subs are connected to their own channels on the Xti 4000 throuh speakon cables as well.

I configured the XTi 4000 using the JBL JRX preset.  At this time I can't recal the exact settings on the Xti 4000 amp, whether it's Stereo or Y-Input.  The amp does get signal and work properly, so I'm thinking that something on my amp settings isn't quite right. If you need more information in regards to settings, I will have to put my equipment together and get back to you.  I did notice that the bass sounds much better when the subs are higher off the ground, such as on a stage.

Given the equipment, I just wanted to know the best way to configure it properly.

Thank you!

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

What type of mixer do you have (a link to the product page is preferable)?

It's important what option you used, "Input Y" or "CH1+CH2", so which is it?

Your XTi4000 should have gotten a full stereo signal from the console, then use the "CH1+CH2" option, and then some crossover and possibly some EQ'ing...

Please describe all settings you have on the XTi4000 and 2000...

Can you push the amp into clipping or limiting when the limiter is in its OFF position (Very important)?
Avi

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hello guys!

Rubes mentions that the XTI4K has the two subs; How are the subs connected to the amp? : via speakon, most probably; Is the [amp] preset configured for Dual or Bridge mode? If the preset is corrected for Dual, then if the subs and cables are properly polarized, there shouldn't be any issue. If the preset is configured for Bridge 'and' the two speakons are used on both channels, then I believe one of the two subs needs to be reversed polarized.

Alain

#6 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi guys,

Here is the link to the mixer that I'm using:  http://www.behringer...ucts/DX626.aspx

I'm using speakon cables for my subs and speakers. I do believe that the limiter is ON, I haven't pushed either amp into clipping.  I will plug in both amps as soon as I get a chance and will get you all of the information on the settings being used.

Thank you!

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Good point about the reverse polarity issue. The minute I read RCA in the previous post I was going for line level vs pro level signals but according the manual the Behringer can handle it. it's almost always the basics, Good call :)

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Ruben, looking forward to you letting us know what it was...:)

Cable polarity? Amp setting?

#9 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

I haven't powered up the equipment yet.  I have to get it from our storage facility.  I plan to do this sometime this weekend and will update this post with the amp settings.  Thanks for checking!

#10 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Guys, I apologize for the delay in updating this post.  The good news is that I was able to change a few settings on the amp that powers my subs, the xti4000, to get the bass that I was looking for.  I did not touch the xti2000 which powers my speakers. I will list the settings that were in place before and after I made the changes on the xti4000 amp.

Before:
  • The JBL Tunings file for my subs was loaded
  • Since I started with 1 sub at first, when I added the second sub to my setup, ch.1 was the only channel being utilized in the amp settings although each sub was connected to its own channel
  • Amp set to Y Input
  • XOV settings from the JBL Tunings file being used
  • Bridged Mode

After:
  • JBL Tunings file still being used
  • Set to Stereo mode to utilize ch.1 & ch2.
  • Set to Sum ch.1 + ch.2 (Y-Input)
  • Same XOV settings as before, however, I had to setup both channels as Independent but with the same settings for each.  Before I setup the channels as independent, low frequencies were coming out of one sub while normal sound came out the other.  Setting it to independent corrected this.
  • Limiter set to -3db
  • Subs no longer bridged.

I noticed a much better performance on the subs.  With that said, is there anything different that you would do as far as settings go?  Or do you see any problems with how I have my subs configured on the xti4000?

Thank you!

Ruben

#11 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostRubes1520, on 23 June 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

[*]Set to Stereo mode to utilize ch.1 & ch2.
[*]Set to Sum ch.1 + ch.2 (Y-Input).
You wrote you set the input to "Sum ch.1 + ch.2 (Y-Input)", so which is it "CH1+CH2" or "Input-Y"? The stereo is not a mode, it refers to the signal coming from your mixer, two cables CH1 and CH2, running from the console to the amp in contrast to only one cable needed for "Input-Y".

I don't own the amp so I might have gotten a few of the settings wrong.

The rest of your settings look fine.
Avi

#12 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hi Avi,

Thanks for your reply. The CH1 & CH2 icons are enabled on the amp, as well as the Y input Icon.

Ruben

#13 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I'm glad you have better bass response. I've just checked and unfortunately there is no summing function on the XLS Drivecore, it's either "Input-Y" or "Stereo". Using an external summing device would benefit you if you're playing stereo content through your rig
Avi

#14 Rubes1520

Rubes1520
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the tip and everyone's input on this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XTi 2000, XTi 4000, JBL Speakers, JBL Subs