Issue MA-5000i

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scameron

scameron
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

i noticed tonight that channel 2 on my 5000 is -6db less than channel 1.  Is there something with the settings on the amp that would cause this or is there an issue with that channel.

also, I can't seem to access the internal settings.  I am using HiQnet Audio Architect.  i can open up the amp settings, but can't seem to change anything like setting limiters.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

using the powered by crown app is where I seen the differences in the 2 channels.

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Could you be using a balanced cable on one channel and unbalanced on the other?
Avi

#3 scameron

scameron
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

View Postdakos, on 18 May 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

Could you be using a balanced cable on one channel and unbalanced on the other?
Avi

sorry should have said, -6db on the output side.  the input meters are reading level.

#4 scameron

scameron
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

the system is hooked up running stereo.

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

There seems to be a bigger problem with the amp then the difference in SPL. I would first try a firmware update or upgrade, check if the problem is resolved. If it's not solved and the firmware update DIDN'T go through all the way, I would try the same thing on a different computer. Did you at any time lock the amp?

Can you verify the 6dB difference between channels with a true RMS DVM (use a signal that doesn't exceed the range of the DVM)?
Avi

#6 scameron

scameron
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

View Postdakos, on 18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

There seems to be a bigger problem with the amp then the difference in SPL. I would first try a firmware update or upgrade, check if the problem is resolved. If it's not solved and the firmware update DIDN'T go through all the way, I would try the same thing on a different computer. Did you at any time lock the amp?

Can you verify the 6dB difference between channels with a true RMS DVM (use a signal that doesn't exceed the range of the DVM)?
Avi
I will measure and see.  I can hear the difference in the 2 channels through the speakers.

I believe this is the amp that Audio Architect informed me needed a firmware update.  Any special procedure or tips before the update?

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

If memory serves me right then presets are deleted during the update so if you have special presets you need to back them up. After that you go on with the update and follow the instructions from AA.

Let me know if it went OK.
Avi

#8 scameron

scameron
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

updated the firmware tonight and no change.

#9 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

Then I think the amp needs to go to an authorized crown service center...

http://www.crownaudio.com/servcent.htm
Avi

#10 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

For all tests, please use a single sine signal, if possible 'Y' to each input and typically, no load :
How does the amp behave with this single source?
Have you checked the internal gain settings in the DSP unit?
With AA, how do the levels behave?

If AA input meter signal level is correct, the DSP input is probably correct;
If AA output meter signal level is different, the DSP unit is probably problematic;
Note : 6dB seems to be one half of a balanced connection...

Let us know your results.

Alain