Stops working blackout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wesley0372

wesley0372
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

My monitor rig consist of 12 crown i-tech 4000's. I have had 3 amps literally go black and all function stops.  The blue power indicator stays on but the surrounding green LED light around the power button goes off as well as the screen.  Typically unplugging the amp, flipping the rear power switch, and plugging the power back in can get the amp to light but never on the first try.  Even if I achieve to regain power and function it is inevitable that the amp is going to black out again.  No warnings of any kind.  Has anyone had these issues?   My rig is literally falling apart and while I contemplate forcing an HD purchase it seems a shame to just call the amp dead.  Any help would be great!

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Did all three amps go black at the same time?
When you mention flipping the rear switch, was the breaker already off?
Do the fans work? Have the latest firmware updates been applied?
Do you use AA (Audio Architect)?
How old are these amps? Have they been previously refurbished?
How is your power distribution? Is it adequate? Do your amps receive the correct voltage? (You can monitor the input voltge measurement via the Monitor menu.)
This appears like a supply (SMPS) issue.

Alain

#3 wesley0372

wesley0372
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Amps did not go black all at once.  One was in the rack for my main PA. First to go.  The following two happened within a month of each other.  Fans work. I flipped the breaker on an off for the heck of it, it was on. Pretty sure I have the last possible update but good, call. I will check. I don't use architect. these amps are 4-5 years old. power is from a 200 amp service into a distro that gives me a 50amp twist out that can flow through all 3 of my monitor racks. power is solid.

#4 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Do the amps eventually regain their composure? If you cycle the breaker, does the amp regain its functionalities?
Can you monitor the nominal voltage of the problematic amps? (You could use the AC Voltage measurement in the Monitor section of the amp.)
If the measured voltage is lower or higher (!) than the nominal voltage (120-240VAC) then the amp experienced what is called a 'brownout' condition.
The SMPS (sample mode power supply) is protected from low or too high voltage conditions.
If the voltage is not at fault, then perhaps you should give your local Crown authorized service center a call!

Alain