CTS4200a dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fspatola

Fspatola
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hi all, I am working on a CTS4200a that will not power on. I found C13, C15 & C16 buldging on the LV module. I am going to do a recap on the whole LV module. I was wondering if there is anything eles I should check before trying to power it up. I have checked the diodes and transistors. This is my first time working on a CTS amp. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You, Frank.

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hello Frank,

Replace the LVPS! Don't try to fix the psu, it's not worth it. The LVPS is quite inexpensive. Also, ask Crown for the firmware update...

Alain

#3 Fspatola

Fspatola
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hi Alain, Thank You for your input. That is what I will do.

#4 Althepeoplespal

Althepeoplespal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I have a very similar problem with my cts 4200, the powdec pte43-34 power supply has leaky caps and the unit makes a steady ticking noise about twice a second.  When wired completely the fan in the amp will try to spin breifly along with the ticking.
Where did you source the replacement and did it solve your problems? Also could the Mean Well pt-65c be used in its place?

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Hello ATPP,

I source my replacement parts at the Source : Crown International, Elkhart IN!
It must be possible to get in contact with the local authorized Crown service center. The p/n for the LVPS is 135284-1. Or better, get in contact with Elkhart! They send parts all over the world!

Though, you mention you have a CTS4200 (not the CTS4200A model?) ... The difference between the two models is that the earlier CTS4200 had (4) individual output modules installed while the CTS4200A has the output circuits on the main board. Though, I believe they both use the same LVPS.

I researched the Meanwell pt-65c : It appears to be the right format but I don't know about the amperage the original LVPS supplied; It appears reasonable. As long as the voltges appear at the right locations on the power connector, you should be set to go. Though, I highly recommend to purchase genuine Crown parts.

Another note : Perhaps, why Crown is using the newer LVPS is because of the availability of extra power needed to supply the 'accessory' card on the CTS4200A.

Hope this helps!

Alain

#6 Althepeoplespal

Althepeoplespal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

That does help me, thanks Alain.  The unit was manufactured in 2006 and has only one fan so I believe that makes it a 4200A.  I'll give a call to a local service center about a replacement lvps, the meanwell doesn't have as much available amperage on the 15v rail.

#7 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yes! That was the other difference : The older 4200 had (4) fans for ventilation, including the (4) individual output modules; The 4200A has only one fan and the (4) output cicuit components are all installed on the main motherboard!

A.

#8 Althepeoplespal

Althepeoplespal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Just an update, I ordered the crown replacement lvps and installed it.  The amp is now in working order again. Thanks for all the help and part numbers.

#9 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hello ATPP,

Fantastic! I'm glad you go it working!

A.