Crown XLS1500 and Funktion-One

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gpee

gpee
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

So I've recently installed 2x Funktion-One F101 units into my loungeroom and chose an XLS1500 to power them. I am quite disappointed/baffled that I'm not receiving as much low end as I expected. I think I was getting more low end out of my 6 inch powered Pioneer's.

I don't know much about speakers/amp relationships so I had a friend of mine who usually sets up sound systems for clubs come and set mine up. The amp's LCD screen reads Stereo Bypass. I've also tried Bridge Bypass mode but get the same result. I am assuming we've set the amp wrong or the amp isn't powerful enough? Pumping the 'Low' knob on my mixer to 5 o'clock gives me a slight vibration but nowhere near as much as I expect these speakers are capable of.

FYI....here is the spec sheet/manual for the F101's - http://www.funktion-... Guide v1.1.pdf

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. I want my neighbours to hate me!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hello and welcome,
First thing you need to do is make absolutely sure that you didn't connect one of the speakers out of polarity, this would kill the low end completely (section 7.3 on your manual). You can check this by putting the speakers together, you don't need high volume for this, push the bass up and now, using the balance knob, switch from the middle to one of the sides, if you get a boost in the low end when the knob is in the L or R position compared to the middle then one of your speakers is out of polarity. If you have more bass in the middle position and you have more low end now that your speakers are closer, then you have placement problems that are causing cancellations. And if it's about the same low end as when your speakers are apart then your speakers just don't have enough low end to make your neighbors hate you.

By looking at the manual, I can see these speakers are not the best for low end. They are meant to be working with the Funktion One MB210 LP bass box.

You might want to use a Maxxbass box to help your speakers cope with the low end you want.

If you insist on making them play material loaded with low end you might damage your speakers so watch out.

What do you use to feed signal to the amp?
Avi

#3 gpee

gpee
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yeah the store person told me when I bought these that they should be paired with the MB120 sub but I had no idea that these wouldnt give even the slightest low end!

I've checked the polarity, pretty sure it's correct. I've got the red wire attached to the +1 and the blue to the -1 on either end of each Speakon cable. The speakers are set in opposite corners (on the same wall) of the room, which measures 415 x 330cm if that means anything....

Signal comes from an Allen & Heath Xone:62 through 2 XLR cables.

Time to save and invest in a sub??

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

I would suggest you still preform the polarity test like I wrote in the previous post, your internal speaker wiring could be at fault and you'll end up battling the subject endlessly.

In such a small room you have tons of cancelations, sit in different positions, especially as close to the wall opposite to the speakers and let me know again what you think.

Other than that yah, start collecting those pennies...
Avi

#5 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

From the manual you posted : "Out of operating band low frequency protection is incorporated."

This means the low frequencies (bass!) are filtred outright by design in this model.  This is a top box.  Subwoofer is not only suggested, but mandatory.  You won't get any useful bass from a 10 inches speaker at party-level from any box!