39 replies to this topic

#31 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

DJ playing is not a problem, loud rock bands is a completely different story, you need more SPL and more headroom, about 15-20dB, so it depends on how far your audience is from your speakers and if you're playing indoors or outdoors.

I would suggest you read this thoroughly:
http://www.crownaudi..._much_power.htm
It is very summarized and "to the point" article for exactly what you need.

Also use this calculator:
http://www.crownaudi...ect-pwr-req.htm

#32 greatzero

greatzero
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
after some time of using iT 8000 with 6 VRX 932 some technical problems came with the amp. So now I have to make a decision, what will be my next step. So far I would like to try bi-amp wiring for my VRX's.

Will anybody give me a piece of advice what amp to choose?
As my iT8000 is half gone (one channel woks, the other doesn't sometimes, but sometimes does...) All that I can use is 2x XTI 4002 so far.
What amp should I look for?

Thank you for any help

Peter

#33 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Dear Peter, how are you?
The replacement amp depends on how much you want to spend?
The cheapest option and still achieve biamp would probably be to fix the broken 8000 and get another i-Tech to run your HF drivers, even the 4000 is enough.
You can go the more expensive route and jump to the HD series amps, then the obvious replacement for the i-Tech 8000 is it's successor, the i-Tech 12000HD for the 6 boxes and for the HF drivers the 5000HD is the current replacement for the 4000. In this case I would still try to fix the older 8000 and put it on the subs instead of the two XTi's.
Did I understand you correctly?
Avi

#34 greatzero

greatzero
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hallo Avi,
nice to hear from you.
Thank You!
You understood well.
Actually I forgot to say, I have two spare XTI 4002s.
Any chance on using them on HF in case of successful repair of iT8000?

Peter

#35 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello Peter,

Do you need some help with the IT8000 repair? If so, please describe your issue.

A.

#36 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

I thought you were powering your subs with the two XTi's, did something change? What are you powering your subs with now?

Yes, even one XTi would be enough to drive the HF drivers of three speakers per channel power wise. Limiting wouldn't be as good though since the XTi's have only one limiter in their DSP Vs two limiters on the older i-Tech Vs three limiters on the i-Tech HD.

If you have two spare XTi's, sell the two of them and buy another i-Tech. I believe you'll even have some spare change left and a bit more SQ. Is this a valid option?
Avi

#37 greatzero

greatzero
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

You are right, I still use my old XTI 4000's to power my two SRX 728S but there are two more amps (2x XTI 4002) available..

As you said before, the option with 1x iT5000HD and 1x12000HD or 1x iT9000HD??? would be very nice, handsome, beautiful..  Now the low budget issue takes place again,..

So
1. repair it8k
2. buy one more xti4002 for HF

will think about it for a while.
I'd love to get those HD's anyway..

#38 greatzero

greatzero
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

View Postjoust, on 30 June 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hello Peter,

Do you need some help with the IT8000 repair? If so, please describe your issue.

A.

Thank you for your offer. First I'll try to let my Crown amp supplier repair my iT8k.
The issue is that when I switch it on, everything works as is supposed. Let's say the sound check of a band is over and the gig is to start shortly. When first sound comes out from my speakers after some time of silence between soundcheck and gig, one channel works fine but the other one "is very quiet". If I rise my master fader a bit higher, this quiet channel starts to work suddenly as it is supposed. It just needs some more signal to break the "gate"..

#39 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

View Postgreatzero, on 01 July 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

1. repair it8k
Yes, definitely.

View Postgreatzero, on 01 July 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

2. buy one more xti4002 for HF
No, I thought you already had two additional XTi's available, one XTi 4002 is enough for all six HF drivers, that leaves one spare XTi. What I suggested was to sell the two XTi's and buy another i-Tech for about the same money.

#40 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

If you are handy with a soldering iron, I would initially recommend that you resolder the BCA coils : Open the top cover; Locate the BCA coils : located towards the fron of the unit; Remove the two coil assemblies from the chassis; Remove the old solder and replace with lead free; Make sure that the coil leads extrude about 2 to 4 mm before resoldering! Re-install the coils.

Alain