PLUG IT9000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BLUNTBRAD

BLUNTBRAD
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

So i have purchased 2 jbl stx835s  So they are the 3 way speakers.  I was told itech 9000, best for hooking 2 of those up.  i don't have them at a gig, they are in a studio.  I want to use them to Jam out after mixing.  The plug is the funny UK, plug 220v 13amp.  My question is..  Can i run this amp off of 110?  Can i use an adapter plug, and just plug into my normal outlet?

Sugestions please.

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hello there Brad,
This amp will run stable on 100-240V so 110V is fine. Many people plug these amps to a normal outlet but these amps need allot of current and might trip your beaker so see if it works for you.
Avi

#3 BLUNTBRAD

BLUNTBRAD
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

So what is the plug adapter, to plug it into 110v my current plug says 1353a?  Whats the adapter called?

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

I have no idea, I'm not from the US. Were I'm from I just make what I need from off the shelf supplies.
Avi

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I would suggest that you modify the current cable to match the AC supply socket (15A, 20A, 30A) of choice.
If you had three European cables you could build the three cables for your different available AC supplies.
You can find these AC plugs in most electrical or hardware stores.
As Avi commented, the risk is great to trip breakers and having potential production snafus with a powerful amplifier. Underpowering an amp could jeopardize the health of the amp.
For a studio application, this risk is relatively low, even using 15A circuits because you have control over the amp.
For the lowest risk, I would use a 30A AC plug. NOTE : This plug doesn't fit all wall socket else than a 30A AC supply; Usually found with distros, racks, etc.
For medium risk, use the 20A AC plug; A lot of venues have the 15A/20A combo wall socket. Though, you may not have the full power to supply the speakers at full blast.
For the highest risk but the most available AC supply, use the 15A plug. This should be good for low level sound venues. Beware of underpowering the system!

Alain

#6 BLUNTBRAD

BLUNTBRAD
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Ok, thank you so much for the advise.  Now, can i test and use the 9000hd, for just 1 stx835?  Would that lower the chance of harming the health of the amp?  And would I risk hurting the speaker, since its all under power, towards 1 speaker?

#7 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

IT9000 : Dual : 3500W into 4 ohms; Bridge : 5600W into 4 ohms
STX835 : (Cont.Prog.Peak) 1600 W / 3200 W / 6400 W @ 4 ohms

Can I test and use the 9000 for one speaker 'in the studio'? Yes, with some holding back on the levels! And, mostly for your ears! :)
Would I risk hurting the speaker? No, I don't think so; The amp is 'compatible' with the speaker cab, in Bridge mode.
Though, you could use the limiter in the DSP section. Unfortunately, I don't know how to configure 'correctly' the limiter!
Perhaps Avi can help us with this!

Alain

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

It's true this amps has 5600W of continuos power rating at 4 ohm bridge mode, but at this mode it also has just under 3dB extra, more then 9000W, saved for bursts or peaks so you should be very careful using these amps this way.

When you use the amps limiter you must keep in your head you're only protecting the biggest driver in the box, you can easily fry the HF driver even with the limiter engaged so you still need to keep your ears open to distortion, but some protection is better then no protection.

You have three types of limiters in the ITHD, RMS, PEAK and THERMAL. They are very configurable so I would suggest you work with AUTO MODE and not in ADVANCED mode. After looking at the spec sheet of your speakers I find that the data you need to configure the limiters is missing or not stated clearly, so we will do our best. you have 1600W continuos at 4 ohm, that amounts to 80V in the RMS limiter and 71V for the THEMAL limiter, leave the thermal response time at 10 seconds and you should be fine.

You can alternatively email the JBL support for the actual specs, you should ask for the 100h wattage specs, 2h wattage specs and minimum impedance of the speakers.

If you only want to protect the drivers then we did good, but if you also want smooth SPL over an entire show, then we need to further limit the RMS and THERMAL limiters so we don't go into power compression so let me know.

The manual for the ITHD limiters is here:
http://www.crownaudi...Readme File.pdf
Avi