Jump to content


HOW TO bi-amp with Two Crown XLS 1500 amps?

bi amp bi-amp crossover AR-9 RCA RMS two amps too much power loud speakers biamp

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nerd

Nerd
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

QUESTION:
Recently I have spent a lot of time reading forums and reviews of gear and I don't want to make a mistake in the way I connect and use my gear so I'm asking for help.
I have a pair of AR-9 speakers. I don't know what I'm doing.
I want to know the best way to bi-amp using two Crown XLS 1500 amps. The answers and details I'm looking for:

*Would I use one amp for just one speaker (lows and highs) or one amp for both speaker highs and another amp for both speaker lows?
*Which crossover mode on the amps?
*What should I do with the Lowpass and Highpass filters?
*My preamp has dual RCA output, so should/can I connect one RCA from preamp to just Channel 1 RCA input on one amp then the other RCA output from preamp to just Channel 2 of the second amp? In other words, do I need to get a RCA split Y cable in order to plug into both RCA inputs on both amps?


My follow-up questions will be:

*Even though the AR-9s are strong, how can I be sure the drivers are being over-driven? -does the Limiter actually provide RMS protection or is it for input peaks or what?
*How do I make sure the power distribution is balanced between the Highs and Lows of the AR-9 drivers?
i meant nerf

#2 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostNerd, on 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

QUESTION:
Recently I have spent a lot of time reading forums and reviews of gear and I don't want to make a mistake in the way I connect and use my gear so I'm asking for help.
I have a pair of AR-9 speakers. I don't know what I'm doing.
I want to know the best way to bi-amp using two Crown XLS 1500 amps. The answers and details I'm looking for:

*Would I use one amp for just one speaker (lows and highs) or one amp for both speaker highs and another amp for both speaker lows?
*Which crossover mode on the amps?
*What should I do with the Lowpass and Highpass filters?
*My preamp has dual RCA output, so should/can I connect one RCA from preamp to just Channel 1 RCA input on one amp then the other RCA output from preamp to just Channel 2 of the second amp? In other words, do I need to get a RCA split Y cable in order to plug into both RCA inputs on both amps?

Since the XLS amps don't have signal summing, I would suggest you buy a small mixer and use it as a signal summing machine only for the lows, you'll get a much better low end from your rig. Othe then that it doesn't matter in which configuration you decide to connect those amps.

Which preamp do you have?

View PostNerd, on 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

My follow-up questions will be:

*Even though the AR-9s are strong, how can I be sure the drivers are being over-driven? -does the Limiter actually provide RMS protection or is it for input peaks or what?

The limiters on the XLS are set at the max power of the amp and work in a way that the amp does not clip. The only way you can make sure your drivers are not over driven is by listening to any distortion coming out of the speakers and taking it down two or three notches. Even if you had adjustible limiters like the XTI2 has, you only protect the biggest driver in the cab.

View PostNerd, on 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

*How do I make sure the power distribution is balanced between the Highs and Lows of the AR-9 drivers?

You just amplify the bass untill it's balanced to your ears, that's the only parameter that counts.

Avi

#3 Nerd

Nerd
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for your response, dakos. I appreciate your tips.
I had also posted this question on audiokarma.org and got suggestions that I decided to take.

Thanks!
i meant nerf





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bi amp, bi-amp, crossover, AR-9, RCA, RMS, two amps, too much power, loud speakers, biamp