Keeping the Xti2000 vertically ? yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SQBubble

SQBubble

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hello,

I've had this amplifier for a good 7-years, when they came out I think... lol, I must say it is still rock solid and pumping the power I need!
Anyways, silly question but I just want to be safe and keep this thing going strong for a lifetime I hope lol... I'm thinking of setting up the amplifier vertically due to space concern, but I would'nt do it if it has a potential to damage or mess up something internally on the long run... Thinking of keeping it vertically for about 2years....

Thoughts?
Thanks

-- X-fi Elite--

-- B&W 685 Bookshelves --
-- TC Sound TC-10OEM --

-- Rega Cursa3 --

-- Rega Exon3 Monoblock (x2) --
-- Crown XTi2000 --
-- Art Cleanbox --

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

Hello,
The problem with positioning the amp vertically is that heat goes up so if the amp is vertical the heat would go into the circuit board and not into the heat sinks for the fan to evacuate. So that's a nay :-)
Avi

#3 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yes, this may be true that if the amp is vertical and the fan is not 'solicitated', then yes the heat may go into the boards and possibly 'affect' circuitry.
Now, if you schedule the amp to enable the fan at power up (power down, press on MENU switch and while keeping MENU pressed, power up) the heat may be less prevalent than if the fan was not enabled. So, it may be a 'yay'! :-)

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Dear Alain,
How much of the heat would you say travels into the heatsink due to physical connection and not due to the amps position? Or in other words how much heat would stay in the board if the amp would be on the side or even upside down?

Just so you see why I said Nay...
http://www.abeltroni...=crown_XTI-1000
Specifically look at the thermal pictures.
Keep in mind that the cover is off therefore ventilation could be impaired.
Avi

#5 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

I would say a large percentage of the heat go from the power devices to the heatsink by conduction.  I have seen designs where the heatsinks are below the power devices.  As long as the fans are working I'd say this is not much of a problem.  But I'm not a Crown engineer!  You should ask Crown.

#6 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Dear Avi, The video also shows that the plain foam plenum appears to be missing from the equation; I believe it is an important part of the cooling system.
I have put the XTI in a vertical position with no ill effect (that I could see!). Yes, I did see the images; I gather that perhaps the top cover was open. Also, the unit was an XTI1000. It doesn't have the Tracker module installed. The XTI2000 does have the Tracker module. The Tracker module is a glorified bi-level switch, that helps out to keep the amp cool when the amp is in low power mode. Also, like I mentionned above, if the fan is activated upon power up, the heat should not accumulate in any appreciable amount.