Crown MA-2400 amps vs Emotiva XPS-5

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kwikcoupe

kwikcoupe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I am going to be converting my home theater system. I currently have BP-2000TL as my mains, CLR 2300 center channel and BPVX for the rear surrounds and supercube reference for a sub. These are all Definitive Technology speakers. I am currently running the mains off a MA2400 about 50% gain. My room is 20wx36d and I sit in the middle(roughly). I love the way the MA2400 sounds with the mains. The rears and center are run off my Yamaha RX-V2095. The Yamaha unfortunately has outlived its day. It does not support 3D, HDMI or many other standard features found in today's tech market. I am going to be getting either a Pioneer Elite SC35 or Marantz 8801. I will be using these as a pre-pro setup. I like all the bells and whistles found in these receivers but they lack the backbone to drive my setup at the volumes I like.

I'm not sure if multiple MA2400s would do the trick better than the Emotiva, after all they only need to amplify a signal and these do the job very well. The Emotiva has great reviews but I'm a bit old fashioned. My amps are not in the same room as the TV so sound is not an issue. I like having the pro build mindset as the MA2400s are bulletproof, have tons or power, are cheaper to obtain. I was always told the best equipment is made in Japan or USA. I understand the antiquity of this statement and it may juvenile, does it still hold water? I wouldn't purchase a chinese car even if it was designed in the USA (standards are standards!)

I look at the build quaility of the Crowns, the design, the specifications. To me, each channel should be as independent or other as physically possible. The emotiva share a lot of commonality throughout the amplification. I'm not sold that class D can compare to the Class AB of the MA line.

What would the board suggest? I know these crowns are old tech but they still make virtually the identical amp in the MA2402. How bad could it be? It may be overkill, help.

Thank you for looking at a dumb question from a NOOB!

#2 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

When one have the mean to have the amp outside the listening area, old pro amps are a major contender as they'll be way cheaper and as good sonically, imho.  Crown K serie have no fans and are a home-theater crowd favorites too.

#3 kwikcoupe

kwikcoupe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

My MA2400 get pretty warm after a few houra of use and with the fans running. How is it that the K series can have comperable power output with that much damper factor and not need vents or a fan? Someones got voodoo magic in these things?

#4 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

That's class D for you!  Efficiency goes from 45% to 85%+

#5 kwikcoupe

kwikcoupe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

And that Class D still sounds as musical as a Class AB like the MA line? The damper factor is huge on the K series, I didn't think Class D could get that clean. In terms of musical value, are they equal assuming equal everything else remains constant between them.

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

A couple of cents from me :)

When you compare gear it's very important to AB them carefully (one set of speakers, same gain and other amp parameters, not driving them to much (other wise you're just comparing the sound of the amps current limiting), as few A/D D/A conversions as possible, good grid power for both amps and many more variables), if you compare good quality amps (no matter the topology) you'll almost never hear the difference (sub duty amps excluded). So if you have the amps in a different room (huge plus, no need for K series) you can just buy more "big irons" (older heavier amps), they will have enough muscle for all your sonic needs without ripping your wallet. The down side to using old irons is that they will probably be a bit less reliable then new amps.

You shouldn't care about the amps damping factor that much, what you should care about is the whole system damping factor. The amps damping factor is pretty negligible when you use short 10AWG speaker cables and 8 ohm speakers so just do that and forget this spec ever existed.
Look here for further explenation:
http://www.prosoundw...plifier_damping
http://www.prosoundw...ping_factor_df/

To the best of my knowledge the MA-2402 is discontinued as well.
Avi

#7 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm not a fan of holding to some ideology.  If the specs are good, class D will be just as good as class AB or A.  In my home theater, I use a mix of class AB (old Brystons and a Crown CTs 600) and class D (Crown K2 on my subs).

The old class D bad reputation comes from 20 years ago when it was not perfected yet and mostly used for doubtful car amps.  Now, even entry-level Crown XLS is as hifi as one needs, imho.