XTI XTI4000 Crossover

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deathmagus

Deathmagus
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

For years, I used an XLR Y-cable to merge the stereo output from my mixer, and ran that output into the left channel of a dedicated EQ/crossover.  I then ran the left output of the EQ/crossover into channel 1 of my XTI4000, and the bass output from the EQ/crossover into channel 2.  This was great, as I could simply run the XTI in stereo mode and control the bass/mains balance by turning the appropriate knob.

Eventually, the dedicated crossover gave out, but I figured I could just dive into the XTI's DSP features to pick up the slack.  So I am now running my mixer's stereo output into the inputs of the XTI, which I have in Ch1+Ch2 mode to merge them into a mono signal.  So far so good. From there, I have the XTI's crossover splitting the signal at 120 Hz, and sending it out.  The problem, however, is that it seems that the front panel control knobs will only affect the input levels.  So instead of being able to control the bass/main balance, I end up controlling how much left/right ends up in the merged signal, and the bass/main balance can't be changed unless I dive into Audio Archtect and attenuated the output of one channel or the other.

Is there any way I can have my front panel knobs control the channel 1/2 outputs instead of the inputs?  What I'm trying to do seems like it would be pretty common.

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hello Death,

Note: The operations manual states that both inputs are merged when selecting the XOVR preset. It is not necessary to select the Ch1+Ch2 mode, it is done automatically.

Unfortunately, the discrete front panel level controls are located in the front end circuit of the XTI, before the DSP can operate on the signal. To use the amp as a Bi-Amp amplifier will require the need of Audio Architect to position the virtual output level controls.

Alain

#3 Deathmagus

Deathmagus
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the tip regarding XOVR and merged inputs.  I'll adjust my settings.

No way to control the back end via physical control?  Sad day.  Still, thanks for the definitive answer!

#4 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

The problem is that the level controls are located 'pre'-dsp. The only thing that these controls do is adjust the overall input gain of the channel and, unfortunately, not the output.
Though, using AA (Audio Architect) shouldn't be that bad! Once you've adjusted the output levels, you should not have to go back and reajust the output levels later. And, you also have great output level graphics! :)
I know some guys who use their iPad to communicate with the amplifiers using the Crown app. Would this be acceptable?

Alain

#5 Deathmagus

Deathmagus
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm an Android user, so unfortunately that won't work.  Mostly, I used the front panel controls to pump the bass if I felt like a little more thump.  Now, I'd have to open up AA, attenuate the treble, and compensate with the input gains.  It's just more steps and I have to wait for software to open.

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

To make the XTi work with the iOS app you need the USBX thingie from Crown. If you don't have that you could use your Android device to connect to your laptop via some VNC app and configure away.
Avi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XTI, XTI4000, Crossover