• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OyiwaaNoela

OyiwaaNoela
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hello Fellows:

Thanks very much for an informative site.  I am rebuilding my Home Theatre, and decided on the Cerwin Vega XLS-28 towers for the fronts. This will be a fairly simple set up:

1. 50 inch Panasonic HDTV

2. A 7.1 surround system:
-- Fronts: The L/F XLS-28 towers (please see specs below)
-- Center:  XLC-6c  speakers
-- Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
-- Surrounds (to be decided)

3.  Receiver: Onkyo NR 717

I want to power the fronts with a power amp, and would be very grateful if you could make some recommendations regarding a suitable Crown amp to use.  I am considering the XTI2002 or the XLS1500. but not sure if it is an overkill for the system.

Cheers, Oyiwaa...

CERWIN VEGA Home Audio:  XLS 28

Dual 8" 3 Way Floorstanding Tower Speaker:  The most popular tower in the Classic Series, the XLS-28 offers three-way performance in stylish enclosure. Featuring Dual 8", cast frame high excursion woofer, the XLS includes a 6.5-inch mid-range speaker and a 1-inch soft dome tweeter coupled to a proprietary mid and high frequency waveguide.

Specifications:
  • 1" Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
  • 6.5" Woofer with Fiber Impregnated Cone
  • Dual 8" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
  • Proprietary Mid and High Frequency Waveguide
  • Fuse Protection
  • Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
Performance Data:
  • Frequency Response

45 Hz - 20 kHz (-3 dB)
    38 Hz - 20 kHz (-10 dB)
  • Power Capacity: 200 watts (Peak )
  • Sensitivity in SPL: 89.8 dB (@ 8 ohms @ 1 meter full)
  • Impedance: 6 ohms
  • Crossover Frequencies: 380 Hz / 2.4 kHz

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi there,
Since your speakers are 200W Peak, then about 50W RMS is a reasonable assumption. Also those speakers have a 6 ohm resistance, that means that even the XLS1000 will be feeding them at least 250W RMS, the XTI1002 will have even more. Yes, I do believe those amps are too much for your speakers.
Avi

#3 OyiwaaNoela

OyiwaaNoela
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks very much - I will try the system first and see if I really need the power amp.

rgds,

#4 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

The Drivecore XLS serie is very nice for home use.  They sounds great, run silent and put out almost no heat.  However, the XLS1000 have a slightly degraded noise performance compared to the other 3 in the family, so the 1500 might be better.

However, your speakers will reach 109 dB with a 100 watts amp at one meter.  The Dolby standard for theaters calls for 105 dB peak at the listening position, which you should almost acheive.  These levels are very high.  With this in mind, I think your money would be better spent on a second subwoofer.  Dolby standard is calling for 115 dB from the sub channel from 20 to 120Hz, so that can put a lot of strain on a single 12 inches sub.  Even more if you like to have some house curve dialed in!  I run dual vented 15 inches with 800 watts on each and the amp will clip on the loudest bass sections on action movies!