power-tech 2.1 bridge mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rockint62

rockint62
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Will it harm the amp if I run in bridge mode two 8 ohm speakers to drop it to 4 ohm? It only has 8 or 16 ohm info in manual. And also it says in bridge mode 910 at 8 ohm load, 655 in 16 ohm load is that rms or peak power?
Thanks to any replies. Rockint

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hello Rockint62, I verified the 2.1 specs sheet and, as you mention, Crown doesn't spec it at 4 ohms load in Bridge mode. It may not necessarily harm the amplifier if you load it at 4 ohms though, it will heat up tremendously, the life of your output devices will be reduced, and you will need extra cooling to make the gig viable. My point of vue? Don't do it unless you really need to. Also, output power levels will rise, more AC power will be needed and it may not be useful in a 15A situation (site breakers and amp's protection breakers (12A) may trigger).
Power is usually represented in RMS values. So, I would say RMS.
Alain

#3 rockint62

rockint62
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll run in stereo to 2-15" EV's 8ohm. 2 should be enough, if not they will have to run me through the PA.
Thanks again RockinT

#4 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

You could also run a second pair of 8 ohms speakers if you connected the two EVs to one channel (@ 4 ohms) and the second 8 ohms pair (@ 4 ohms) on the other channel (or a mixture of the two!). Both sides would be running 4 ohms and you would have (approx) twice the power!
A.