Cts1200 No Audio Channel 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xtrememachines

xtrememachines
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have a Cts1200 and I get no audio out of channel 1. Channel 2 works fine, I switched the inputs for channel 1 and 2 and still nothing. I reset the PIP card with the small button on the back. Any ideas on what could cause this issue?

#2 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

(I'm assuming at this point that the problematic CTS1200 has a PIP processor card installed, perhaps a Lite or CN card.)
When a preset is requested, the preset's information is usually transferred to the DSP's current working memory. Sometimes, an amp may trash the DSP's internal working memory and things don't happen as it used to. You could then try to select (or reselect) a preset. Sometimes it doesn't work and you need to reset its internal memory.
The side that is not working, may not have the Ready indicator lit. If you remove [carefully] the input PIP card (removeing the cables also), and power up the amp, the two Ready leds should be lit. If the faulty channel's Ready indicator doesn't light up, then the amp has a problem and should be looked at the local Crown repair center. If both Ready indicators come on, then the PIP card is at fault.
Can you get your hands on a PIP BBY input card? This is the original CTS PIP 2 x 3 pin Euro connector card, no fancy electronics, just used for signal input. You probably have one of the PIP powered processor card. To reset the card properly (you are going to lose the installed presets!) turn the amplifier off, insert a pin into the reset hole, power on and hold pin in the hole for a minimum of two audible clicks (also accompagnied by led flash). I then usually cycle the amp another time.
Hope this works!

Alain

#3 xtrememachines

xtrememachines
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I removed the PIP card and the ready indicators both came on, I put the BBY card in and got audio from both outputs. So it looks like the PIP card is bad.

#4 xtrememachines

xtrememachines
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I put PIP Lite card from another amp into the amp and I get audio from both channels however I think ch2 still has another issue. When I plug a speaker into ch2 the sound is softer and you can see the diaphragm of the speaker move in and out a substantial amount compared to ch1 where the speaker is louder and the diaphragm just vibrates like normal. Any ideas?

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't think the PIP card is bad; It just needs to be reset. To reset the card properly (you are going to lose the installed presets!) turn the amplifier off, insert a pin into the reset hole, power on and hold pin in the hole for a minimum of two audible clicks (also accompagnied by led flash). I then usually cycle the amp another time. Note: There is a possibility that the card may be intrinsically bad! :)

Hope this works!

#6 xtrememachines

xtrememachines
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Even with the original CTS PIP 2 x 3 pin Euro connector card installed the output of channel 2 pulses the speaker diaphram in and out an abnormal amount.

#7 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Verify the level control circuit: there is a cap (C219, 10UF) in the wiper section of the level control. I have seen this cap acting up! If you replace this cap, also replace the one in the other channel.

Alain

#8 xtrememachines

xtrememachines
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

When I took the cover off the amp I noticed there are 2 3-way switches, one for each channel. The one for channel 2 was switched down, I moved it back to the middle position like channel 1 and the speaker stopped pulsating and seems to be normal again.