• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mavo

mavo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hello,

i searched the forum and technical help files, but found no clear answer to this one: If i use an XLI amp to drive a subwoofer, which is nominally 8 ohms, but has a minimum of 5,1 ohms in its passband, can i use the bridge-mono mode or will it overheat/shutdown/damage itself? I am currently using a Behringer A-500 and it overheats with high levels, so i am looking for a quality upgrade to it.

Thanks for helping me!

Mathias

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

When you match an amp to speakers you only use the nominal impedance of the speaker. Other then that all Crown amps made these days are all 4 ohm bridge or 2 ohm stereo stable.
What all this means is that you'll be perfectly fine using this amp for your what you intend to :)
Avi

#3 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

The Crown specs indicate that the XLI series amps are not stable at 2 ohms or 4 ohm bridged.  I own one and called Crown to confirm for myself. 8 ohms is fine.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sorry, my bad. I was relaying on a post made by Kevin Heber from Crown but it was made a couple of years before the XLi was made.

http://www.crownaudi...3838#entry16249
Avi

#5 mavo

mavo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Well, despite the confusion, i just gave it a try. Seems to work just fine, fans do alot of work, but air is cool. Actually, i am astonished by the quality of the xli 800, especially in comparison to the behringer a500.

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

I always thought it's best to buy even a budget amp from a reputable amp company rather then buying from a budget company that will cut corners in important places that would effect the sound.

like my friends on the other forum always say, an ideal amp needs to be:
1. light.
2. of high quality.
3. cheep.
Unfortunately in the real world you can choose only two...

Behringer makes some good products as well but you really have to know them otherwise you might get what you pay for.
Avi