Jump to content


Crown XTI 2 limiter


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hello

how can I discover that out signal is max and limiters are correct out signal?
I need it to control input signal from my mixer

in case whith xti 1, we have red indicate from panel, when limiter correcting out signal
what about xti 2?

#2 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean... You want to know if the signal your mixer is outputting into the XTi is at its max level so you don't push it more or you want to know when is the limiter engaging?
Avi

#3 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks!

How can I now, when limiter starting to engage and limiting xti2 ?

xti1 have clip limiter, xti2 haven't it.

#4 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yes, the XTi2 also has a clip LED.
Avi

#5 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Excuse me,

I was changed limiter threshold from max to min, volume changed too, but indicators was only in green ...

May be clipping off...?

I have 4 xti6002 with vrx900.

#6 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm terribly sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding your questions. Not that I'm comparing but I'm having the same problem with my wife :)

In the XTi2 the limiter settings are dBFs units and threshold and release values in ms so I don't know what those Max and Min values are...

#7 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

indicator was not clipping when I changed limiter threshold from MINimum (dBFs=0) to MAXimum (-40) value :)

in which cases limiter clipping?

#8 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

In this case the limiter is used to limit the power of the amp, not as an anti clipping device but rather as a speaker protector. The clip indicator is a simple comparator of the signal in the input Vs the signal in the output, for instance you can feed the amp a clipped signal and as long as the clipping is not created in the amp the clip LED is not going to light.

At 0 dBFs there is no limiting done and at 40 dBFs (or -40 to be exact) you're limiting the amp to 1/1000 of its power so for sure the volume will be effected.

#9 joust

joust

    Power User

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I may be wrong, but on the main panel (as seen in System Architect 3.4) there are two limiter indicator, one for each channel, that lit up 'yellow' when the limiter is 'limiting'. It is not red on my panel. I haven't checked with Band Manager but I feel it should be similar.
To really know if the limiter circuit is functional, you could use a sine wave generator and monitor the output with a multimeter or oscilloscope. Multimeter may read RMS but the scope reads peak 2 peak. You may need to convert from RMS to peak because limiter values are in VDC.

Alain

#10 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

View Postjoust, on 20 June 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I may be wrong, but on the main panel (as seen in System Architect 3.4) there are two limiter indicator, one for each channel, that lit up 'yellow' when the limiter is 'limiting'. It is not red on my panel. I haven't checked with Band Manager but I feel it should be similar.
To really know if the limiter circuit is functional, you could use a sine wave generator and monitor the output with a multimeter or oscilloscope. Multimeter may read RMS but the scope reads peak 2 peak. You may need to convert from RMS to peak because limiter values are in VDC.

Alain

Thanks, this is true

#11 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Ok

For example.
I load preset for my speakers VRX932LA1. Then, I send signal to the input of amps (from the mixer) and calibrate it with output signal (after DSP).

How can I know: DSP limiting signal in the output or not (from the FOH place)? I need to monitor maximum signal in the output.

(Using dbx260 or another DSP, you can control input signal from the mixer and monitor limiting signal in the output by clipping on panel)

#12 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

All you need to do is connect the XTi to a laptop with SA, wirelessly or not, and monitor the limiter indicator. There is minimal support for connecting this amp to your computer wirelessly so you'll need to do your own research from previous posts here and on other forums.

Here is a good thread to start:
http://www.crownaudi...?showtopic=4392

Let us know how you plan to continue...
Avi

#13 dakos

dakos

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Could it be that you get confused between clipping and limiting? Make sure you understand exactly what each one of those mean!!!

#14 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

View Postdakos, on 20 June 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

All you need to do is connect the XTi to a laptop with SA, wirelessly or not, and monitor the limiter indicator. There is minimal support for connecting this amp to your computer wirelessly so you'll need to do your own research from previous posts here and on other forums.

Here is a good thread to start:
http://www.crownaudi...?showtopic=4392

Let us know how you plan to continue...
Avi

Many thanks!
I find this as the only possible solution

But does not understand the lack of gain redaction of limiter.
Gain reduction is essential to calibrate the system.

#15 loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

View Postdakos, on 21 June 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Could it be that you get confused between clipping and limiting? Make sure you understand exactly what each one of those mean!!!

I mean red flash on front panel, when limiter correct signal in the output, but this related only xti1, unfortunately.