• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ravi

ravi
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Dear All,

Kindly suggest if I can replace an existing PSA 2 Crown amplifier with XTi 2002 model.If not kindly suggest a model from Crown's series.

Thanks

#2 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Why you want to replace it, what kind of speaker you have, do you need internal dsp, light weight etc etc just little more details on what you really want will help you helping you.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Dear Ravi,
The PSA2 doesn't have allot of power output so if you compare only that to the PSA2 then the XTI1002 is closer to the specs of the PSA2 then the XTI2002, but I join stephane in his recommendation for you to let us know what you plan to power with this amp.
Avi

#4 ravi

ravi
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks - Stephane and dakos for your response.

We have horn speakers setup which are used to drive air in a chamber. The existing setup consists of horn speakers driven by PSA-2 amplifier. In order to upgrade our system we bought Xti-2002 amplifiers after thoroughly Comparing the  output Power with the PSA-2 model.

Observation - 1:
With the PSA-2 Model the current drawn by the horn speakers were typically around 9-12A , when  replaced  with xti2002  model the current given by the amplifier in the initial 30Seconds was 9-12A then we noticed thermal indication is coming and the current is dropping to 5-6A. Horn speakers load resistance is  around 2 Ohms.

Observation - 2:
To avoid any confusion regarding the load resistance the same procedure carried out using 2 Ohms rheostat capable dissipating more than 2KW power.After this exercise we observed same current fluctuation with temperature indicator as mentioned above.

Our criteria in selecting the amplifier is to have Load current around 12A RMS (i.e, continuous current) driving 2Ohms load .power requirement theorically working out to be  288Watts (Continuous power),Also the specs of Xti 2002 are superior to PSA-2 specs.Since PSA-2 is working smoothly till date we would like to know why the operation is not the same with XTI2002 which is having better driving capabilties.

The  following settings are made in the band manager software,
  • Advance monitoring ; fan speed: Full
  • Input :stereo
  • Synthesis : default
  • Input EQ and output EQ: Default( No Equaliser is set)
  • X-over :OFF
  • Delay : OFF
  • Limit: 69V for threshold, 0 for attack and 0 for release.
Hoping that the above information would help to some extent  in answering the issue.
Thank you.

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

The reasons for the phenomena you described has a few reasons, for one, music is not made of a static sine wave, it's constantly changing and the newer amps relay on that when the specs are measured (most amps with switch mode power supply), my impression here, and correct me if I got it wrong, is that you are using low frequency sine wave to move these drives, by doing that you'll probably drive the amp into thermal clipping, especially at two ohms loads. Also a dummy load doesn't function as a speaker does although you'll probably get away with using it.

I see you run these amps in stereo, just don't use these kind of loads in bridge mode.

As for limiter specs, the time shouldn't be zero but some other value, if you want it to be an RMS/continuous limiter then you need numbers of about 200mS and up, if you want a peak limiter then you need a quicker DSP reaction so lower numbers. Another explanation for this phenomenon is that you could be just hitting the limiters so set higher values in the attack and release times and see if the problem goes away.
Avi