Best Configuration Of XTI 1000 and JBL JRX115/JRX118S

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmmorring

rmmorring
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and not at all new to the PA world. I'm a drummer trying to find the best way to configure what I have to use for a small PA. I have 2-XTI 1000 amps, 2- JBL JRX115's, and 2- JBL JRX118's. What I'm looking for is to get the best bang for what I've got without having to buy any more equipment. I know I can use the on board crossover and low pass / high pass filters etc. without using the Drive Rack in the mix. Would I be better served using one amp per side with the sub in Ch. 1 and the top in Ch. 2 with about a 90hz cross over or setting everything up as a Mono feed and running the tops (parallel) in bridged mono with a high pass and running the subs (series) in bridged mono with a low pass filter, or should I be configuring in a different way? Thanks for all your help. Randy

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Well, I can think of a good thing and a bad thing for each of those configurations... I would just try both configurations and see if there is a sonic difference between them, I seriously doubt there is. I would still try it :)

#3 rmmorring

rmmorring
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

View Postdakos, on 17 March 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Well, I can think of a good thing and a bad thing for each of those configurations... I would just try both configurations and see if there is a sonic difference between them, I seriously doubt there is. I would still try it :)
What are your good and bad thoughts of these set ups ? A quick e-mail to a Crown tech, he said the best set up would be 1 amp per side in x-over mode at 90hz and after re-reading the manual this seems the most logical and buying a couple of higher wattage amps to really push them . I was hoping for some more in put if what I have would be suitable as is.  Thanks for your help, Randy

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

DearRandy,
The good about the "one amp per side" configuration is that you have redundancy with no need to rewire your system if one amp goes, you can use very short speaker cables if you put the amp near the speakers. The workload is distributed better.

As for the "one for tops and one for subs" configuration, it would be easier to create and change the setup if needed, you keep the amps near you for more control, easier to cluster the subs.

Non of these pros or cons is of high importance except the redundancy issue which is also doable in the other configuration,

Hope this helps :)