27 replies to this topic

#16 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Since you are using the X4000 on 8 ohms mids, I think that a 15A service will be enough.  This is considered a light load on an amp!  :)

About the input sensitivity switch, the 0.775V setting should be used if the amp is fed by a DJ mixer, and the 1.4V setting is the standard if a pro mixer is used.

#17 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Your speakers have more potential in them if you were to drive them with a more appropriate amp... for the tops I guess a bridged XTi4002 for each 715 is a good fit, but for the 718 not so, they could really use an itech but that also has a 20A cable :( so again a bridged XTi4002 for each 718. Also you should put them right next to each other to gain some free SPL (+3dB) and also sum the signal going to the subs. All that being said, if you're happy with the sound of you rig, I wouldn't change a single thing!!!

#18 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Guys....I always appreciate the time you spend helping us newbie types. I continue to learn.  I'll upgrade the system as time goes by and money allows.....till then, I'll try different configurations with what I have till I get close to what I want...

#19 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

So I was finally able to do a side by side comparison of my XTI4002 and the X4000. I had 2 other people listen with me and with exactly the same input source - my ipod in mono, through the same mixer, I connected left channel of mixer to left channel of XTI and the right channel to the right channel of the X4000. Then one channel of each amp to one speaker each. Sound quality wise, we could hear so little difference, it wasn't worthy of comment. I thought it would be a little more obvious that that especially as they are very different amps according to what I have been told by Crown. What surprised me though was that although into 8 ohms, the XTI gives 650w and the X4000 gives 1000w, the X4000 was MUCH louder!! With gain set at 2 o'clock on the XTI, I had to turn down the X4000 to 9 o'clock to hear the same volume. I didn't think that it would be that different. Does that sound right and was it a fair comparison????

#20 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

First, the difference between 650 watts and 1000 watts is less than 3 dB.  This is not "way louder", it's actually barely noticeable by ears.  What you are observing is the gain of the amps, which is higher on the X4000.  This is the input sensitivity switch we were discussing earier.  Set it to 1.4 volts and the volume should be more similar to the Xti.

Also note than when you want to compare components, you must adjust their gain so they put out the the same output, before listening.  That means playing a tone thru the system and setting the gain with a SPL meter to less than 1 dB difference.  This must be done because our brain will automatically prefere the louder of the two.  That's psycho-acoustic for you!  When you match the gain (volume) then you are really comparing the sound.

#21 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Deromax for the reply. I knew there had to be more to it than that!!, The reason I asked was because I knew the difference shouldn't be that noticeable at 3db. ProbIem is I don't know how to measure the SPL with a meter. Do I simply purchase one and is it easy to use? Also, the input sensitivity was set at 1.4v on both amps so that didn't change anything. I suppose the bottom line is that I like the sound of the amp, It has clarity and thump and measuring it is a moot point if it does the job - right???

#22 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yes, no amount of scientific testing will change how one is happy with a component over another!  Trust your ears!

#23 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

:)

#24 salcemarcoa

salcemarcoa
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Awesome info!!! any updates?  I have also been looking into this amp  but I cant find anything that specifies the weight of the unit.

#25 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

If you own an iPad, iPhone or iPod, there are a few [audio suite] apps around on iTune. Some of these apps go for a few bucks and some are probably free!
I have an FFT/SPL meter app that works with the internal mic to sample audio to give you real world measurements. It also incorporates an oscillator for testing!

Also, if it's any indication, the XLI3500 (UK only!) weight is around 22kg (49lbs). It is very similar to the X4000, specs wise.

Alain

#26 Artie

Artie

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Hey all. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but my Crown X1000 just arrived today and I'm wondering if someone can clarify: is it class AB, or class-D?

Thanks everyone.

Btw, this was also a MF SDOTD. I can't believe you can get this much power and quality for 2 bills. Way to go Crown.  :P

#27 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

View Postjoust, on 19 February 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

If you own an iPad, iPhone or iPod, there are a few [audio suite] apps around on iTune. Some of these apps go for a few bucks and some are probably free!
I have an FFT/SPL meter app that works with the internal mic to sample audio to give you real world measurements. It also incorporates an oscillator for testing!

Also, if it's any indication, the XLI3500 (UK only!) weight is around 22kg (49lbs). It is very similar to the X4000, specs wise.

Alain

Sorry for the delay in me seeing these recent posts.
The X 4000 is exactly the same amp as the XLI3500. The X series models are distributed through the Guitar Center/Musicians Friend group of companies - The XLI series is sold everywhere else - in the USA also.
The amp weighs 43 lbs so it is quite heavy.
I dont own the amp anymore and didn't own it for very long  - not because I didn't like it but my system grew to the extent where I needed bigger amps so I sold it.
These amps are very under-estimated and have not sold well which is a shame. Good amps, good price - a little heavy but solid .
I believe they are AB amps - definitely not class D.

#28 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Q. "clarify: is it class AB, or class-D?"
Definitively not class 'D' or 'I', it is not a BCA type of amp. It looks very much like class AB...

A.