3 replies to this topic

#1 chris226

chris226

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I'm getting ready to install a couple of the new XLS units for live use.  I usually use a well set compressor/limiter (Ratio: Infinity:1, Attack: 5 ms, Release: 1s) , to protect speakers.

It is quite common for my clients' operators to (attempt) run a system 10-20 dB over what the amps (and speakers) are designed for, to try and get it "just a little louder".  The compressor/limiter I typically use provides 30+ dB of reduction, so even though things may start to sound squashed, the system is protected.  

1.  Is the built in Peakx limiter suitable to handle this kind of abuse, or should I continue to use an outboard limiter?

2.  What is the relationship between between the clip LED and the Peakx limiter?

3. Can you provide specs. for the Peakx limiter (threshold, attack, release, max amount of gain reduction, etc)

Thanks,  Chris
Christopher Ping
Pro Audio and Lighting Consultant
Lexington, KY

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Dear Chris,
I remembered this topic was discussed before but it took me a while to find this thread so look here:
http://www.crownaudi...?showtopic=4212

I guess you're trying to build a reliable "B" or even a "C" rig?
I think these amps will do great in this harsh environment but to get a better idea and more real world experience I would post a question on peosoundweb lab lounge forum, there is quite a lot of competition over this market share but to the best of my knowledge, none of them come close in terms of features, reliability!!!, light weight, sound quality  and overall product/$$$ ratio.

Is that what you're trying to do?
Avi

#3 chris226

chris226

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'm actually going to use it for stage monitors.  It's going to be at a local bar that typically has an in-house operator set-up, then he leaves it with the band.  They have a different band every night.  Many bands (and operators) in my town are very neglectful when it comes to operating PA system's that they don't own!
Christopher Ping
Pro Audio and Lighting Consultant
Lexington, KY

#4 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

If the amp power is just right for the speakers, then the amp's limiter may do.  If you need to limit at some lower level than the amp power, then external is needed.  I don't know the actual parameter for the Peak-x.  It's mostly there so the amp never clips.

Be careful with massive limiting on monitors.  This is a recipe for epic feedback when the song ends and then the limiter releases!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peakx, limiter