• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Prichard

Amy Prichard
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

I'm powering two PA Speakers (350 RMS, 8 ohm) with a 1500 crown xls amp. I was wondering if I should or shouldn't crank the volume knobs on the front of the amp... If not, how far should I push them? The knob ranges from 1 to 10 but is that power output or just volume output? Also how does stereo mode differ from bridge mode in terms of power output? If I'm running in bridge mode should I crank the knob twice as far as I would turn both knobs in stereo mode?

Thanks!

Amy

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Dear Anny,
The gain knobs don't change the max power of the amp, they change the input sensitivity so if cranked all the way the amp would give full power when it has 1.4V at the input, if you put it at half gain then it would take twice the voltage at the input to get to the max power output.

In bridge mode the power quadruples, it's like having two amps together at half the resistance on each so now instead of 350WX2 you will have 1500WX1.

I didn't understand the configuration you want to use with bridge mode so can you explain exactly how you plan to connect it all?
Avi

#3 Amy Prichard

Amy Prichard
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi Avi, Thanks for the help

My main concern is to not blow my PAs. I'm in a jam band and our vocalist likes to shout. A lot. I have a mic plugged into a mixer which goes to the amp which goes to two 15" Seismic Audio PAs bridge-style. Out of fear of blowing my PAs, I only turn the amp input sensitivity to about one-third of it's full potential, but we could use more volume, especially during shows. I guess I'm wondering how much risk of blowing my speakers is involved in cranking the amp input sensitivity and lowering the mixer's gain and send knobs.

Thanks again!

Amy

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

If he is the only one giving you trouble then you should seriously consider putting a compressor on his channel only, this is actually a very common usage of compressors. Other then that you can lower the gain all you want, once he gives a good shout, the voltage coming out of the mixer will probably be high enough to put your PA in harm's way.
Avi

#5 Amy Prichard

Amy Prichard
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Ok one more question...

If the amp isn't clipping is it still posing a threat to the PAs?

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

The short answer is defiantly yes but it would be much harder. You should read this:
http://www.bennettpr...undamentals.pdf
If you need further assistance don't hesitate to write :)
Avi