XLS 2000, need to boost volume

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarkChampion

MarkChampion
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am using a guitar rig as a pre-amp into an XLS 2000. I would like to generate more volume to get the most out of the XLS. Do I have to have a mixer or is there another way?

The guitar set up is a TC Electronic Nova System (specs below) and a Boss Equalizer (which has a level control that provides some volume boost):

Guitar processor specs:

Max. Output Level
(Balanced/Unbalanced):

20 dBu/14 dBu, R-load = 1200 Ohm
20 dBu / 14 dBu / 8 dBu / 2 dBu
> 104 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
<-98 dB (0.0013 %) @ 1 kHz
+0/-0.3 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

I am playing live shows with limited set-up times so a mixer doesn't seem like a practical option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Your processor appears to be able to provide enough output to drive the XLS to maximum power.  Is there any gain or volume you can increase on the processor?  Volume on the guitar istelf?  Is the XLS gain at maximum?  Are you using balanced TRS cables?  Using the Drive input?

Adding another device should not be necessary and will increase the backgroud hiss even more.

Also, you should be patching the Boss pedal between the guitar and the TC unit, as typically the Boss are working at instrument level, not line level.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

In addition to what Deromax wrote and asked, I see on page 15 of the user manual of your processor that the gain of the unit is determined by three parameters, the output Range, the InGain and the BoostMax, so make sure these are set properly.
You have a great little combo just needs a little tweaking :)

#4 MI-9584

MI-9584
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Get your guitar tech off his *beep* n tell him to put his AC voltmeter on the output of the EQ right at the amp input as you play so he can get an average level.This is REALLY where EQ belongs.I don't like the EQ loop deal.Usually too much noise!!Whatever you get here will determine how hard you are hitting the amp.If there is over 2.0Vac of signal and the amp will do full with this or close to it then ur o.k. If there is considerably more than you are considerably more O.K.If there is considerably less than ur not O.K. !!A gain stage(notice,I did not say pre-amp) may be required for you.Remember,The Nova is just a Stomp box,no matter how sophisticated,it's still a stomp box.You may need to be a little more exacting in the system you gig with.No diss to you meant,I love to mix good musicians and you are probably of a caliber that needs to be more demanding of the equipment!!There are quite a few good guitar pre's made and that may be a route you have to take.

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

As Avi says, verify the Output Range parameter in the Levels menu of the manual. Also, check the Advanced menu pages for explanations about the Boost function.

Enjoy!

Alain

#6 swiveltung

swiveltung
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Seems a small mixer would not be difficult to setup. Maybe a 2 channel or 4 channel. Would give you more tone options too. The little Peavey (PV-6?) is good. Not sure if the 6 has them but the ones with more channels have amazingly good effects in them too and a USB output.

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Peavey has a USB input and output which is a great feature to have if it was working properly, unfortunately it has allot of noise in it that makes it unusable, not allot of effects nor allot of tone options, just a basic mixer which could be used here but not needed.
Avi