• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mixmstr

mixmstr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi ,
Forgive me, but this is a little new to me. I have a XLS 1500 amp that I am using to power 1 Peavey PV118 Sub(400w Program Power 8ohms). I currently have the amp setup in Crossover Mode(Input Y XOVER) with the sub connected to channel 1 Bannana Plug. If this is correct, what freq. crossover point should it be set at? Does this setup provide 300w to the sub other than the bridge mode of 1050W(which I take that I should not use). I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of the sub and I'm not overdriving it. Also, I have another amp that is running my mids/highs speakers. This is being using for a dj setup coming out of a Rane TTM57 mixer. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank You,
Alex

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hello Alex,
To figure out how you configured the amps working mode it's more important to know how you connected the speaker to the amp, did you use the "Bridge" type of connection (page 4 on the manual under "Bridge-Mono Mode") or are you using a regular/unmodified speakon cable?

Do you have a crossover other then the one in this amp for the tops?
Avi

#3 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Crossovers frequencies are always dictated by the speakers used.  Checking the PV118 specs, we learn that the unit has an internal crossover built-in, so the use of another crossover is not absolutely needed.  If you decide to use the one in the amp anyway, it should be set by auditionning the system and deciding what sounds best to you.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Peaveys internal crossover is set at around 150Hz with a 6dB/octave slope or so, they don't really say, that's a bit high in my experience and allows for positioning of the bass box. Not that big of a minus but still. One other thing is that it would mean that the XLS would need to power the tops, that would put one crossover on the tops and one on the sub, unless you're thinking of using the boxes natural frequency responce falloff as a crossover?
Avi

#5 mixmstr

mixmstr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostDeromax, on 03 January 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Crossovers frequencies are always dictated by the speakers used.  Checking the PV118 specs, we learn that the unit has an internal crossover built-in, so the use of another crossover is not absolutely needed.  If you decide to use the one in the amp anyway, it should be set by auditionning the system and deciding what sounds best to you.

I did try to bypass the amps crossover, but the subs internal crossover just doesnt seem to cut out much mids/highs, that's why I am using tha amps crossover. Does this setup Crossover Mode(Input Y XOVER) seem like the best way to run the sub? If I run the amp in bridge mode, wouldn't that be way to much power, and possibly blow the sub?

#6 mixmstr

mixmstr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postdakos, on 03 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Peaveys internal crossover is set at 150Hz or so, they don't really say, that's a bit high in my experience and allows for positioning of the bass box. Not that big of a minus but still. One other thing is that it would mean that the XLS would need to power the tops, that would put one crossover on the tops and one on the sub, unless you're thinking of using the boxes natural frequency responce falloff as a crossover?
Avi

I am not using this amp for anything else. Just for the sub. Is this ok? I have a different amp that I am using for the tops only. Is the Crossover Mode(Input Y XOVER) going to be ok for this purpose. I am using 1 input to Ch.1 on the amp(nothing connected to ch. 2 input). I am using the ch.1 bannana output of amp to go straight to my sub. I do not plan on connecting anything to ch.2 output.Is this setup giving 300w to my sub?

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

With this kind of set up, since you're only using one channel, it doesn't matter if you use input Y mode or just stereo. This way the sub will get up to 300W. You're speaker can handle up to 800W peaks and 200W continuous power, but with this kind of setup there's no way to separate between peak power and continuous power, it's either 300W continuous or 1050W continuous so 300 makes more sense and that's how you configured it.

Using the amps internal crossover makes allot of sense, but you also need a crossover for the top speakers as well. If you don't have one and can't afford one, I would use the internal crossover of the PV118 and use this amp to power the tops using its highpass mode which is very close to what our friend Deromax suggested.
Avi

#8 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

What top speakers are you using?

#9 mixmstr

mixmstr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Just trying to get the most out of what I have. I am using 2- 15" JBL Eon 300's for tops. I am using the Crown XTi2000 for those and using Band Manager with it. Another thing on my sub, I have the volume/dial on the amp set at 3 o'clock. Is this about right or should it be all the way up. I just wish it had a little more "umph" coming out of the sub.

#10 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

With a 15 inches top, I would try starting with a crossover of 80 Hz.  This needs to be implemented as a low pass on the sub amp and as a high pass on the top amp.

You can set the gain on the sub amp to any level that gives the sound you're after!  It may need it actually, as a single 18 is not much subs compared to the dual 15 you have in your tops.  You may want to look for a second PV118 sub some day!

#11 mixmstr

mixmstr
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks again for the help. I will try it. And just to be clear the Eon's are single 15,not dual,, but I have 2 of them.

#12 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

The XTi has a built in crossover as well so you have a crossover on both the sub and tops, that's good.

To get that "umph" you want it would start  better DSP (a different amp (such as the XTi 2 series) or an external processor (such as the DriveRack)) so you can separate the peak power from the continuous power, it might take bigger amps and subs and even stronger better tops but lets not get carried away here :)

About two 15"s Vs one 18", although cone area helps, it takes more then that to make good bass reproduction (or a good sounding sub), you need the box and driver parameters to be bass oriented.