Presets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jscott388

jscott388
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Little confused, so I see the xti2002, 475w 8 ohms / 800w 4 ohms, has a preset for the 415m (600w) / 425 (1200w 4ohms)... So question is, isn't that under powered for those speakers?

I am not sure what amps would be a safe zone for DJ'ing with 2 415m / 2 418s.. Maybe 2 425 and 1 418s as we are prone to noise complaints. We don't need to be loud but I want clarity and good sound.

Our current system has run it's course, 2 pv2600 powering 4 EV from like 15 years ago and 2 pv118x subs (1000w). So our whole system is under powered, I am shocked it lasted that long. I had the dbx drive rack with it which I believe it gave more life.

We have some dj's that are just extremely loud on mic and everything just clips and there is no stoping it.

At the moment we using the powered jbl 635 speakers, nice but they are over heating it seems and cutting out. The limiting light doesn't even come on and they are cutting out, about 2 foot from wall, can't go out farther cause of dance floor setup. So only option I can think of is mount the speakers up and go power amps / speakers.

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

The configuration files are more for shaping the sound comming out of the speakers, they have nothing to do with choosing the correct amp to properly power your speakers. But if you choose an amp that's weaker then your speakers all that's going to happen is you will get a little less power out of your speakers.

No to the other issues you brought up... First I have to ask you a few questions... I didn't understand if you're operating a rig permenantly installed in a club or not?

Second question is, I understand you own the 635's, 2X PV2600, 2X PV118X, 1X DriveRack (which one??) and 4X EV speakers (which model?), do you already own some other gear?

How much do you think to invest in the new rig (amps, speakers, processing, cables...)?

Do you have enough wall power (how many circuit breakers at what rating)?

#3 jscott388

jscott388
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

The EV's are old and I don't remember. I know they use the eminence woofer. They are 15's.

So all 4 are hooked into one pv2600.
The 2 subs are hooked up to other pv2600.

The 635 are used for mobile gigs as he does weddings on his own, he refuses to put new speakers in or upgrade anything. He is stubborn as *beep*. Since the EV's are distorting like crazy, pretty much blown, we are using the prx635's for now until we replace the EV's / pv subs or repair them. If we decide to replace them, then the owner is just going to use the sp2's he has, which would be putting 450w to each speaker, (4 total) which are 1000w program... So looks like we be going to same issue again down the road.

The drive rack is the first pa. Although there is no presets for those speaker in the driverack I managed to get it sounding really well but we still are having to push the system overboard to get as loud as we want.

I noticed with the 635's our dj mixer was barely bouncing into yellows and the speaker itself would never flash the limiter light and we was only using 2, where the other system would sometimes hit red.  So something like the 635's would work just fine, however, with us using the system 20 hours a week, I think powered speakers wouldn't fit our needs. Afraid the speakers wouldn't get the air flow they need as we had issues this pass weekend.

So something around 5k is the budget. This would be coming out of my pocket, I can't stand djing on a system that is 10+ years old and underpowered.

This is installed permanently. However, this would be my system that I am letting owner use (my father).

So what I am looking at is:

1. 2 prx415m with 1 prx 418s (maybe 2 if I can manage the bass waking up the neighbors.)

2. 2 prx425 since I may be limited on the bass waking the neighbors up.

So question - which amp for the sets. Get a new drive rack?

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

For a budget of 5K I would suggest you take the plunge and try to enter the big league of the JBL SRX series, what do you think about these:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b73c3853

Or these slightly damaged ones:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2ee46afd

I would get a used itech 4000/6000/8000 (1100-1800$) to power them, with the proper presets they will sound amazing and take the most beating any speaker can. That puts us at about 3-4K so if it were me I would sell the rest of the gear you own to add another 1K to the budget and spring for a little more to get the SRX728s (1300-1600$) and another used itech to power it.

What do you think?

#5 jscott388

jscott388
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Possible, only issue is I can't get too boomy. Noise complaints can be a issue. I think the 728's would be over kill.

The dance area is like 30 ft wide, and 15 feet deep. So more like a rectangle.

I used 4 prx635 last night, 2 per side, sounded great and no heat issues. Only down fall they weren't high enough over people's head.

I will check into the srx series a little more. Maybe just one 728 would do the trick.

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Each 728 is 2X18" subs, that's what you had (2XPV118X) so I recommended in the same ballpark of SPL, I recommended them not for their boominess or super high power but rather for their high sound quality per $$$ and their reliability.

One other consideration I had was to recommend top boxes that will be able to provide you the SPL you want with only one box per side, using two boxes per channel introduces what's called a combing effect (amplifying some frequencies while canceling other frequencies), that really hurts SQ and you can never fix it with processing. This is also one of the reasons I recommended the 728 and not 2X718, also it's cheaper.

Now for the other speaker choices you gave... Since you're used to having a sub with your older rig, I think you will feel the lack of bottom end without one even with speakers like the 425.

Is there a JBL pro audio store near so you can go and check the various combinations discussed here?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Presets