Class D & DriveCore RFI/EMI Suppression Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HiFiFun

HiFiFun
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

As a fellow engineer i understand reducing RF/EM interference is a complex subject with many different aspects to which circuit designers must consider. I['ve owned the older K2 amplifier and found it to be a bit bight, no doubt a result of modulator switching frequencies into the nearby delicate anlog signal.

1) Do the Crown switching power supplies use resonate mode (single frequency) type or the square wave type? How is RFI/EMI reduced?

2) How is the considerable RF and EMI being generated in the class D output stage be dealt with? Is their shielding?

3) How much does the miniaturization into one tiny DriveCore IC help to reduce contaimination?

I write this because of the extensive Crown digital amplifier technology and this interference being the "number one enemy" to recreating the original analog sound reproduction (one that is uncontaminated and pleasant to listen to).

I know there is excellent progress being made as I can listen to the best of church live sound systems today much longer than even a few years ago. I find it a bit incredulous that the most important aspect to achieving quality audio is never acknowledged or discussed. Do you too wish Tesla were here today?

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

These are more of a tech support kind of question (out of my scope of know how) so I suggest you either contact them directly or post on the parallel technical forum :)

About sound contamination and purity, pro audio at the DriveCore level is not as much about pure sound as much as it is about correct undistorted amount of power to where ever we need it and even that is not entirely correct.
Avi

#3 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

If any spurious signals would find their way in the sound output, that would show in the specs.  The 103 dB S/N ratio tells another story : it's near dead silent.