Basic wiring and PA setup help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BrianCa

BrianCa
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have been slowly aquiring more and more peices to add to my PA system and I have finally gotten to the point where I'm lost in how to proceed.  Hoping to find someone to steer me the right direction before I go and blow something up.

Here's what I have:

4 JBL JRX 125 Speakers (Mains)
4 Yamaha wedges (monitors)
1 Older Crown 800 Series Amp
2 Newer Crown 802 XLS Amps
Behringer 24 Ch Board

This is where I'm lost.  I can easily get  2 of the JBLs running as Mains out of the board and one amp and all of the Yamahas running as monitors out of another.  Sounds great and works good but I am missing something how to get the 3rd amp into the mix.  I assume I could daisy chan the other 2 JBL's but I'd still not be getting the benefit of the other amp.  So basically am I just missing another box in this setup or what?  Maybe I am making this harder than it needs to be but I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Brian

#2 BrianCa

BrianCa
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Looks like the answer is XLR splitters our from each board main out into the amps, one each side.  Thanks for looking, have a nice day.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hello :)
Were you just looking for a way to connect everything? If so then splitters are not that good of a solution, try to use cables instead of splitters, in your case Y XLR cables would do the job.

Splitters and adapters overstrain the chassis connectors on the amp, so avoid them as much as you can.

Also I didn't understand why you need the 2 X JRX for? If it's higher SPL you're after then I suggest you sell them both and get better speakers and amp.

Good luck with everything :)
Avi

#4 BrianCa

BrianCa
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Yes, y xlr cables is what I meant, that is what I'm going with.

As far as why I bought what I did, I bought it used, and it's as good as anything I will ever need for the venues I play in.  I don't need every single last bit of equipment I own to be top shelf to play in bars.  This setup is nicer than 99% of what any other band around here plays with, so I'd just like to be able to use what I have and have it sound good.  If you have recommendations I'd be happy to listen but as far as I'm concerned this setup seems to sound great compared to what I've been using.

Thanks

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Well, things can ALWAYS be better, but the most important thing is that you like how it sounds, and since you do, I don't see any need to give you any advice, I actually kinda envy you :)
Avi

#6 nexlar

nexlar
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

The term‚ "70V system" relates to the maximum output voltage of the amplifier. 100V is the more common voltage used in Europe, 70V commonly in the United States. Although 25v, it should be mentioned, does have its uses and produces full output at 25 volts RMS and therefore falls below UBC or other regulatory installation requirements.

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Nexlar:
Was this posted on this thread by mistake?

#8 BrianCa

BrianCa
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would say so ^^^ but it did remind me to come here and say that I used all of this new gear for our New Years show and it sounded awesome, I'm not sure I could have been happier with the performance of this equipment.  Definately going to continue to use Crown gear in the future.

#9 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

Very nice to hear, many happy returns :)