XLS series amps - is there analog to digital conversion present?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I, like Deromax, think PSU type shouldn't be a consideration but for the purest of pure sound, nothing but toroid would do. Do yourself a favor and listen to it before you buy it!!!

#17 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I concur with Dakos on the PSU choice.  It's becoming irrelevant.

Going pro amps instead of hifi is a choice you have to make yourself.  They have advantages as well as drawbacks.  The philosophy is different.  They are made to be portable, compact, reliable, self protective and support adverse useage conditions.  Compare to, say, the Emotiva XPA-2 is for sale at 679$.  It's a classic class AB with a big linear PSU, 300 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms.  But it's in a 4RU high case and weights 72 pounds!  The comparable Yammy is weighting 30 odd pounds!

In my opinion, the Yamaha might be closer to home hifi in sound quality because its topology (Class AB, no DSP) is more similar.  If you have the option, you might also try the XLS and see if you like it.

#18 Kuja

Kuja
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Avi and Deromax,

Thanks! :)

I will try Yamaha P3500s and P5000s.

Some comparison with Crown XLS 1500:
http://www.talkbass....urprise-723833/

#19 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Be sure to repport back!  :)

Musicians have different criteria!  They are looking for "tone" in an amp.  I'd rather have neutrality and transparency, not "a sound" of its own.  ymmv.