Pleased with my Xti

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afridi

afridi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I purchased a crown XLS 802 but found it too noisy. Dont want to void warranty so am leary of opening it up and playing with the fans. I do plan to use it in my HT setup. Also getting a ground loop hum which I will track down and eliminate before finally inserting the XLS.

Anyway I was so pleased with the Crown I purchased an XLS 1500 and it was super in my home stereo system. Used a behringer DEQ2496 for room correction (as that space is a little shouty).

The Xti was fascinating as I read up its capabilities,  so got one of those and now I can remove the behringer and just set up the EQ on the amp itself.

These amps are doing a better job than my McIntosh and Emotiva gear......

Overall I do feel that the XtI sounds better than the XLS 1500. Is there a difference or is that my imagination only?

#2 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

XTi is class AB and XLS 1500 is Class-D.  It's possible you hear a difference in sound but it should be minimal.  In a hifi/home theater setup, the XLS 1500 fan will toggle between extremely slow and stopped, so the fan-noise is a non-issue.  XTi, like the older XLS may produce more fan-noise, that may or may not be acceptable in your setup.

I just got an used CTs600 for my home theater and the fan-noise is somewhere at the acceptable/annoying level in my setup.  I may decide to replace it.  It's sound and build quality is top notch however.  But I disgress!  :)

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

The newer XTIs have three fan modes, Lo, Hi (default) and on. Just set it to Lo, go here for further instructions:
http://www.crownaudi...?showtopic=3095

#4 afridi

afridi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I do not hear the fan on the XTi but will set it up for Lo just to make sure