XTI and JBL MRX 525

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sansylvain

Sansylvain
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

i whant to know what crown model i need for jbl mrx 525 and if my xti2000 is underpowered for 2 like this

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well, it all depends on how far you want to take these speakers. They can do 3200W peak transients so if you want to use this speaker to its fullest potential you'll need an i-Tech 6000 for two speakers, one per channel. The XTI 2000 is not ideal at best for it :(

#3 Sansylvain

Sansylvain
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

in last 2 year ago i repair, 6 time, the twiter on my mrx525. I receve this message is it true?

(Message); it seems you are under-powering the MRX525's. These are rated at 1600 watts per ch. @ 4-ohms and the XTi 2000 is only delivering 800 watts per channel. With a power amp providing at least the recommended minimum output level, you are far less likely to experience blown drivers. The Crown XTi 6000 would be the logical choice if you want to stick with the Crown XTi Series amps. Having headroom in the power amp will let you operate the system more efficiently and you should also hear improved overall sound quality.It's usually not the high level of power that destroys drivers, but the distortion from a low-powered amp.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Well, yes and no... Statistically they are spot on, a small power amp is driven into clipping much faster then a high powet amp and clipping equals allot of energy put into the speakers, twice the rated maximum power of the amp, other then that you could be perfectly safe using a small amp. Read this:
http://www.bennettpr...undamentals.pdf

#5 Sansylvain

Sansylvain
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

ok i make the test. The limiter in my crown is set to -3db, only the led's -20db stay on, the -10db led flash sometime when i put the volum up, in my soundcraft the yellow led's dont past -6db i dont no if my red led work i never see her in 2 year.
can you belive after this i broke my tweter again i think it to complicate for me and i think i'm return with peavey i never having problem with my fist kit in 10 year ???

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having, some speakers are more sensitive then others. If you choose to replace those you should consider the very reliable JBL SRX/STX series speakers or Peavey QW series, both are real high quality speakers. There are many other options so post your contemplations here, I'll try helping as much as I can.

What other gear do you have? Do you use an EQ with "smilly face" curve?

Engaging the limiter and playing music at a level that the limiter engages, actually raises the average energy the speaker is getting causing extensive heat buildup in the speakers, the woofers can take it but the tweeter can't... When the limiter on the older XTI engages it does it in a very audible manner, you should be noticing it unless it almost never disengages, people say it sounds like shattered glass, do you hear it?

Also when setting the limiter at -3dB setting you essentially have a 400W amp and not even the 800W you thought you had :(