Just wanted to pass this on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dj Foxx

Dj Foxx
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

I wanted everybody that loves or even hates Crown amps to hear about this.

About two years ago we had a Com-Tech 400 in our church to push our very basic system, our church is known for going through many componets such as amps and mixers because we have a steeple that is a lighting rod. We try to unplug everything after the service but well...... sometimes we forget. One night we did having ALL of the gear plugged in with the worst lightning storm I have ever seen in our little town. The next moorning which was Sunday. Our phone system was dead, two air condtioners were fried (and one caught on fire!) and our sound system was DOA. I tried to boot it up anyway (stupid me blink.gif ) and of all things The Com Tech was sparking and smokin like Crazy and gave off the very unplesent smell of burning circuits(not good). So I quickly shut everything down and ripped the amp out to take home and study.

When I took it home and attempted one more time to fire it up IT STARTED PUSHING 400 WATTS ON CH1!!!!!!. Ch 2 was fried but 1 was acting like it was just in mono. I was completely shocked to see that it worked at all much less pushin speakers! But what I wanted to say is a big thanks to all who put all of those so called "pointless" fail/safe sytems on these amps to work under the worst conditions, and after a $200 repair job, this amp is now a part of pushing MY rig to this day. So thanks Crown!!!

P.S I'm sorry to see that you retired the older Com-Tech series I would have loved to get some 1610s.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

Great story we love to here them. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#3 pooh601

pooh601
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

hey man i just came across two nice looking com-tech 800 amps i dont know anything about them all i know is that the pip deal int he back is burned on two circuits if you know where i can get somemore info on them or maybe even some specs i can check out any thing would be cool but if i cant fix them or do anything with them and you think you can let me know
ps they are heavy as a motherfer

QUOTE(Dj Foxx @ Jun 8 2005, 04:16 PM)

About two years ago we had a Com-Tech 400 in our church to push our very basic system, our church is known for going through many componets such as amps and mixers because we have a steeple that is a lighting rod. We try to unplug everything after the service but well...... sometimes we forget. One night we did having ALL of the gear plugged in with the worst lightning storm I have ever seen in our little town. The next moorning which was Sunday. Our phone system was dead, two air condtioners were fried (and one caught on fire!) and our sound system was DOA. I tried to boot it up anyway (stupid me blink.gif ) and of all things The Com Tech was sparking and smokin like Crazy and gave off the very unplesent smell of burning circuits(not good). So I quickly shut everything down and ripped the amp out to take home and study.

When I took it home and attempted one more time to fire it up IT STARTED PUSHING 400 WATTS ON CH1!!!!!!. Ch 2 was fried but 1 was acting like it was just in mono. I was completely shocked to see that it worked at all much less pushin speakers! But what I wanted to say is a big thanks to all who put all of those so called "pointless" fail/safe sytems on these amps to work under the worst conditions, and after a $200 repair job, this amp is now a part of pushing MY rig to this day. So thanks Crown!!!

P.S I'm sorry to see that you retired the older Com-Tech series I would have loved to get some 1610s.
View Post

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(pooh601 @ Sep 5 2005, 10:13 PM)
hey man i just came across two nice looking com-tech 800 amps i dont know anything about them all i know is that the pip deal int he back is burned on two circuits if you know where i can get somemore info on them or maybe even some specs i can check out any thing would be cool but if i cant fix them or do anything with them and you think you can let me know
ps they are heavy as a motherfer

QUOTE(Dj Foxx @ Jun 8 2005, 04:16 PM)

View Post

View Post

The Standard PIP input module for the CT amplifiers was the PIP-BB and used Screw terminals. If this is what the amplifier has, plugged into it, than a replacement can be obtained from our parts department. make sure you specify PIP1 format when ordering.
If it has a different module, other than the standard PIP-BB, I will need to know the model to be able to provide more info. smile.gif