#1 petrella90

petrella90
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hello,

I have a Crown XLS 1000 hooked up for home use to Rockford Fosgate
15 inch subs (P1S4-15). Problem is the amp keeps wanting to clip, when
I turn down the amp, I don't get the "punch" from the bass.

Any thoughts on how to correct?

Thanks

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

First you need to read this:
http://www.crownaudi...3839#entry15678
Do you have such an adapter/converter?

Now please specify how you have everything connected to the amp (bridge/not bridge)? What type of crossover do you have? Is there anything else connected to the amp? What other gear do you have? Any other info you think is will help in solving this problem...

#3 petrella90

petrella90
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Currently, I have a reciever hooked up to the amp, using cell phone, ipod etc
through the phone jack.
That could be it, not having a convertor when using. Just using the built in
crossover form the amp, using one channel for subs and other for highs.

Thanks.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Then I believe we got to the bottom of things, getting that converter is the first thing to do. You can either get yourself a pure converter such as this one:
http://www.amazon.co...aw_bottom_links

Or you can buy a small format mixer that will do an equal quality conversion such as this one:
http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=Mixer

Let us know how it went :)

#5 TagUrToast

TagUrToast
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Theoretically if he can clip the amp then the input source is providing a signal with enough power.
How are the subs connected? is the amp bridged? have you used the subs with another similar wattage amp before and got better results?

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

He could just as easley be clipping the input without reaching proper signal levels, I'm not 100% sure if that would light the clip LED due to the clip LED circuitry (a simple comparator on older amps but with the DSP I just don't know), anyway the solution should be the same. I would have to ask the OP: when you say "Turn down the amp" do you mean to turn down the gain knobs on the XLS (that means the amp is clipping) or do you turn down the volume knob on the receiver (means the receiver is clipping)?

#7 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I would wonder how his output speaker system is wired: he mentions one side for bass, one side for highs...
Can't go bridge with a configuration like that! This isn't stereo neither! Perhaps bi-amping? Still, no stereo there!
He's talking home system not DJ stuff, right?
Note: I believe Clip indication on the XTi can come from the front end as well as the back end.
Though, how can the user clip the XTi inputs from levels from a receiver output (-10dBu)?
He does mention using the headphones output which has hotter levels. Or was he referring to the headphones output of his accessories?
Shouldn't there be normal outputs connections (perhaps RCA) on the receiver that will be at lower levels?
Of course that would mean another XLR adaptor or the adaptor that Dakos suggested.

My recommendation would be to start by using the DSP OUT preset, in dual mode, no other effects or configuration, one speaker (full range) per side. This configuration will tell you if your starting point is valid or not. If the signal is now good then move up to more complicated configurations. If not, fix the signal first and only then use other DSP settings.

A.

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hello,
Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, when I said "clipping the input" I meant he might be feeding the amps input a clipped signal, not that the amps input level is lower then what the receivers output level and thus the amps input is the one doing the clipping.

Other then that, good debugging advice :)
Avi

#9 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Avi, this is my day job! I hope I give good advice! :) And in French too! lol