Old School IQ 2 systems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dj Foxx

Dj Foxx
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

Whats up guys. I just recently decided to get into the IQ world since Ebay had an  offer on the equipment that I could Not refuse  rolleyes.gif  What I have so far is two Com-Techs, one is a 400 and the other is an 810The P.I.P inside of it is The SMT. Also I have the SLM 8 Load monitoring system and the networkwork II interface. I have the conectors for the P.I.P to the interface on order and I have just downloaded the software . My question now, is there anything else I would have to have to make this work and if not, how would set up a VERY basic program on the computer to monitor and control? If anyone has some good knowledge still on the older system, I really would appreciate your input .(no pun intended)  Thanks!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

The older IQ components worked on a 20 ma current loop were everything was wired in a big loop from the interface. Each INT-2 device had eight loops that could have up to 250 of each kind of device. Each device on a Loop had to have a different IQ Address.

In the older IQ system wiring configurations, 4 pin and 5 pin DIN connectors were used on most IQ products while some used a 4 pin Buchannan connector. The DIN connectors used pins 1 and 2 with Pin 1 being the negative connection and Pin 2 the positive. Positive (pin 2) was connected to positive (pin 2) of the connector at the other end of the cable and negative (pin1) was connected to negative (pin1). Each cable connecting the devices together had a 4 pin DIN on one end and a 5 pin DIN on the other. The 4 pin DIN went to an IQ device’s output connector and the 5 pin went to the next devices input connection. If a Buchannan connector was used then the wiring was done so the ouput positive and negative fed the next devices input positive and negative and the input was fed the same way from the device before it.

Connection between the computer and the Interface was done with a straight through wired RS-232 Modem Cable not a Null-Modem cable as the Null-Modem cable had pins reversed on one end. This cable was either a db-9 to db-25 cable or a db-9 to db-9 cable depending on the age of the interface.

You will need to use the IQ for Windows 5.12 software for operation which can be downloaded from the “Downloads” section of this forum. When starting the software it will do a Roll Call (Component Discovery) if everything is connected and working the devices will show up on the “Work Place” screen after the Roll Call is completed. If the roll call came back with a “No Interface found” then there is a communication issue beteen the computer and the Interface. If it comes back with a “CTS Low” statement then we have two ways of fixing this. Give us a call for either.

Once the devices are on the Work Place screen double clicking on the component’s icon will open up a control screen, clicking on the yellow bar at the bottom will open up the window wider. Clicking on the larger yellow bar will open the window up into the tabs window were you can set up the advanced features of the device.

If you do not have the owner’s manuals for the devices they can be downloaded from our web site at:
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legaciq.htm

Our Legacy web page also has an "IQ System: Trouble Shooting Guide" .pdf file from the old IQ Training School Training Manual that might be of interest. This guide has the procedures for troubleshooting an IQ 20ma current loop system.

#3 Dj Foxx

Dj Foxx
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

Well, I just got everything in and I thought everything was hooked up correctly but when I run the roll call it shows up with no interface found even though it is connected to my PC. The only problem I could think of is that maybe it takes a special type of RS232 cable and mine is just not right. So this means that I have no control of my amps or the load minitoring system. I'm using Cat5 cable for the bus loop and I'm pretty sure my solders are ok on the connectors so I don't think that they are the problem..........yet.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Dj Foxx @ Jun 16 2005, 05:49 PM)
Well, I just got everything in and I thought everything was hooked up correctly but when I run the roll call it shows up with no interface found even though it is connected to my PC. The only problem I could think of is that maybe it takes a special type of RS232 cable and mine is just not right. So this means that I have no control of my amps or the load minitoring system. I'm using Cat5 cable for the bus loop and I'm pretty sure my solders are ok on the connectors so I don't think that they are the problem..........yet.
View Post

Make sure you have a modem cable not a null modem cable. A modem cable is wired pin for pin from one connector to the next. A "No Interface found" statement means that there is no communication between the computer and the Interface.

#5 Dj Foxx

Dj Foxx
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

Well the good news is I plugged it in to my desktop and the system does work, but now I have to get it to work on my laptop because that is what I am going to be using it on. When I connected it, it tried responding with all the different bauds and then said no interface found, disconected, it said that on com1 my CTS was low. you said that you had a soulution for this so I was wondering if you could help me one more time. I am really thankful for all you help.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Dj Foxx @ Jun 17 2005, 02:21 PM)
Well the good news is I plugged it in to my desktop and the system does work, but now I have to get it to work on my laptop because that is what I am going to be using it on. When I connected it, it tried responding with all the different bauds and then said no interface found, disconected, it said that on com1 my CTS was low. you said that you had a soulution for this so I was wondering if you could help me one more time. I am really thankful for all you help.
View Post

The CTS low issue come from some computers hold CTS high all the time while others hold it low. There are two fixes for the CTS Low issue.

The fist one involves getting an RS-232 cable you don’t mind sacrificing to the cable gods. On this cable pull pin 4 out of the male end. This can be done with needle nose pliers.

If this doesn’t work open the IQ.ini file in a text editor like “Note Pad”.  And add the line “IgnoreCTS=1” like displayed below. This should get rid of the CTS low

[Port]
Enable=1
Port=1
BaudRate=115200
Tracing=0
USIInterface=0
IgnoreCTS=1