Not sure I should be getting this much power from amp.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I just upgraded my MRX518's to SRX718's. I am using the same amp - a XTI4002. With the MRX's I used it in stereo output rated at 1200w. My plan was to use it bridged for the SRX's to get 3200w total. However, I plugged the new speakers in for the first time and used the amp in stereo just to hear the difference in sound - each side  rated at 650w. I figured this would be far too little power..BUT  surprisingly it is really loud with the gain set at not much more  than it was before going into 4 ohms each side . Granted, right now it is in a room in my house and obviously would be turned up higher in a larger room but I seem to have lots of headroom. Doesn't make sense to me.  I am not sure whether it is worth putting the extra stress on the amp by bridging it.  Any ideas as to why this occured??

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure what is different between the two configurations, at 650W the peak SPL with the SRX is about 122dB, the MRX peaked its 1200W at about 126dB, the SRX is slightly more sensitive but not enough to make that much difference, what it does have is a much flatter frequency response chart while the MRX chart is more peaky. One more thing could be is that you put the SRX in the corner of the room where it was corner loaded then you might be hearing that and not the actual speaker power by itself. The bottom line in all this is if YOU are happy with the end result then the numbers and whys don't matter :)

#3 debzdoodle

debzdoodle

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Dakos for the quick response. I know sometimes these things don't always back-up the numbers the way we would imagine them to. I would really like to be able to use my amps in stereo  to take the load off a bit so I'll give it a try that way. I won't need crazy volumes, the band doesn't require it so this may work and  if not  ...............I'll bridge the amp.