• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dux

dux
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi
i'm thinking about buying a crown cts amp.
I have read that the bca (class I) in the cts 2000 makes the bass even more tight, the amp has even more control over the woofer than the cts 600/1200 has which "only" has AB+B.
I read this on a danish hifi site, two guys writes this...but i can't seem to find anything else on the internet about it, and in the cts product details, it says that bca is about amp reliability.

Is this true?....or is it simply because the cts 2000 has more watts, it is a bigger amp...and that is why it has that very good bass control?

I will use the amp to power my Cerwin Vega 1215  speakers in my home setup, there is 2 woofers per speaker, a 12" ant a 15"...don't need to play crazy loud, just a little loud:) with that good bass control.

I hope you can help me, i can save a good deal of money if the cts 1200 is just as good:)....there is also and powertech 2.1 for sale, how does that compare with cls 1200/2000 in tight bass, bass control?

dux

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

I don't know about the difference in amp topologies (class ab+b Vs class I) and how it relates to woofer control but when you say "control the woofer" I believe what you mean is (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) the damping factor spec, which in itself is pretty useless, what you need to achieve is a high enough damping factor but for the complete system, not just one component. When you get to the bottom of understanding this calculation, you understand that the amps damping factor spec is more or less negligible above 500 or so. Here is a link that explained how to master this theory and why this single spec will almost never tell the whole story...
http://www.prosoundw...mping_factor_df

#3 dux

dux
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hey dakos
Thanks for the reply
I have read that dampning factor is not that important anymore compared too years ago.
A dampning factor over 500 should be just fine, the cts 600/1200/2000/3000 have a df of 3000, powertech is 1000.

The Crown Studio Reference 2 has a df of 20000, the worlds highest....but have read the cts 2000/3000 has an even better control over the woofer, and the guys reason who wrote that  is the bca.
I have looked at your link, it don't understand it too good....my hifi/pa knowledge is not that good:)

#4 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

Crown have stated that their class-I topology have some desirable characteristics when used for subs application.  This might not be related to the sound quality, but other factors.  They have a white paper about this topic on their website.

About damping factor, I tend to like an amp with high DF for subs but as Dakos have stated, it's more or less an anecdotal preference rather than science.  Anyway, to make good use of an amp with good DF, you need big speaker cables and a tight speaker to begin (driver/enclosure).  150 feet of 16 awg will drastically alter the DF of the system.  On the other hand, copper is expensive!

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

BCA is synonymous for Class I amps made by Crown, I guess Crown did some tweaks to the amp design that would improve it even further and that's why the different name.

As for the DF, it's just as important now as it was years ago, but nowadays people have more of a professional perspective rather then the marketing perspective they had a few years back. The bottom line of this article is to use an amp with DF over 400-500, use as short and as thick speaker cables as possible, put the amp near the subs, use higher ohm configuration, avoiding bridging configurations also helps (if you have enough power for that).

#6 dux

dux
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the help, i think i will by a used cts 2000 next month.