XLS-802 with one 4ohm subwoofer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 TagUrToast

TagUrToast
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

I wish they employed someone like you at my high school, everything is just dumped on the eldest member of the tech crew and a few ex students who volunteer their time. Sounds like you do some pretty decent sized gigs!

Yeah it is WinISD, I can see how it would react in a certain ported enclosure but the thing is that I don't own a variable high pass filter (I have a fixed 30hz but I have tried it and don't like it) or a crossover that would work. the DRPA is something that I'm borrowing :P

If I were to go ported, I would need to either find a HPF or to be super careful with the volume in movies with LFE content :S

#17 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

Your cheapest option is to buy a used Peavey or DBX electronic crossover for about $30 on eBay instead of borrowing DRPA.

#18 TagUrToast

TagUrToast
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

I can't seem to find any below $80 + shipping on eBay, are there any other places that I should look?

It would be a LOT of work to port my current box, i'd like the port to be on the front and then it would have to go in one the corners around the sub with a max of a 4" port. It would end up having about an 8db increase in volume at 20hz and would require a HPF at roughly 16.5hz and to find one that accurate, it would need to be digital, so I think i'd be looking at $100+ + shipping.

I'm not too bothered with that at the moment anyway, The sealed enclosure does what I want (makes everything rumble) to a reasonable extent anyway.
I'm quite comfortable with the DRPA and have used and calibrated it quite a few times. The only thing I dislike about it is the "pop" if you accidentally turn it off before the amps.

#19 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I use the Behringer DCX2496 both at work and in my home system and it's a great piece of kit!  It's going for like 330$ on eBay.  For when your budget allows!

Dakos, what kind of work do you do?

#20 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Oh, and nothing wrong with sealed boxes.  My previous subs were NHT 1259 in 3.5 cu-ft closed boxes.

#21 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostDeromax, on 11 August 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Dakos, what kind of work do you do?
At first I worked at a few car audio shops, after a few years of working for others I opened a shop for myself, I owned it for three years and because I haven't made enough profit I had to close shop, in the mean time I also started DJ'ing on birthdays, weddings, bar mitzvahs and so on, then I dove into live sound, small bands, small clubs, bars but that business didn't pick up as much as I wanted it to but it stayed in the background all the time till this day, now I'm finishing med school and still doing gigs on the side and very happy about it :)

#22 TagUrToast

TagUrToast
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Finally got my hands on the XLS-802 today and have to say, it handles the 4ohm bridged load fairly well, much better than I was expecting. I had it playing music at quite a high level for about an hr and a half and the amp barely seemed warm.
Now to re-familiarise myself with the DRPA...