xls2500 clipping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smiles

smiles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

please pardon my inexperience.  I have (2) xls2500  bridged, each driving 2 harbinger hx118s subs . I also use (2) xls1500 bridged  each driving 2 yamaha s115's   My problem is the kick drum clips the 2500's regardless of what I do.  I use a d112 for the kick, run thru a mackie vlz1604.  This past weekend, played to 500+ people, large venue.  Could not run sub amps above past 3rd click without clipping/distortion.  What the heck am I missing?

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

First, configuring amps to operate at 4 ohm bridge is extremely demanding on the amps, especially on sub duty. So we need to see what we can do to make its life a bit easier so we can operate it just a bit under clipping. I couldn't find the manual to the subs but we need the -3dB point of the subs to setup a HPF (high pass filter). Another tweak that can help is Aux feeding the subs, meaning you don't use the main out from the mixer for the sub out, you use the aux output in the mixer to feed the signal to the sub amps, this way you naturally filter out allot of unwanted noise that finds its way into the mix and burdens the amp.
Let me know if it helps

#3 smiles

smiles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the response. Here is some additional info. I run thru a dbx drive rack, specs I have for the subs  rms 400w, peak sine 800w, peak program 1600w.  32-250hz, 8ohm, sens 1w,1m :98db max spl 128db. My thought when using the 2500's was I would have more than enough to drive the cabs. however I still have the same problem when I run a single cab each side.  Should I look at different amps?

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

I did see that 32-250hz frequency response but I strongly suspect it's the -10dB spec rather then the -3dB. I suppose the -3dB point is at about 45-50hz, that's why I asked you for the manual of the subs. Maybe you can eMail their tech support and ask for it. All the rest of the specs are not that relevant.

The fact that you tell me that even at one cab per channel you still clip tells me that you might be clipping the signal upstream of the amp, do you have proper gain structure?

Which drive rack?

#5 smiles

smiles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

PA+ with current download that includes xls series amps.  I think I do but I have two problems: 1.I play bass with the group (9 piece with a lot of vocals 50's doo*beep*)  2. the sound guy I currently have has a good ear but limited skills)    I set up the best I can initially but with canned music I cannot recreate the live dynamics.  Would a compressor on the kick mic be beneficial?

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

Of course a compresser would help but it will also change the sound you currently have. Canned music usually has up to 6dB of peaks while live music usually has more then 15dB of peaks, that's why you can't recreate the problem. You can download hires uncompressed music files frome verios sites, just google "hires uncompressed audio", these might help in reproducing your problem.

The fact that you can't reproduce the problem with canned music also convinces me you might be clipping the signal upstream of the amps. Do you use the EQ on the driverack PA+? what setting do you have the gain at the DRPA+? Do both your XLS2500 clip or just one?

I would encourage you to learn about "Aux feeding subs", since you have allot of vocals. This is a link to a good article from Peavey:
http://www.peavey.co...ts/AUX_SUBs.pdf

What about proper gain structure? lots of video tutorials on youtube for you to watch such as this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tornRFVtGxI

#7 smiles

smiles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

I have a request in Harbinger for specs and I have been doing some homework on gain structure. I am looking to set up the system and try some settings.  Thank you for the info and the links. I'll do some work and post my results in a few weeks.    Thanks again. I appreciate the help