amp mounted vertically?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raen

Raen
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hello! Can anyone see any reason why it would be a bad idea to use a power amp ( Crown XLS 1500 and 2000 ) mounted vertically (i.e. rotated 90 degrees from the typical orientation)?

Thanks for the answer!
Raen

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostRaen, on 11 June 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Hello! Can anyone see any reason why it would be a bad idea to use a power amp ( Crown XLS 1500 and 2000 ) mounted vertically (i.e. rotated 90 degrees from the typical orientation)?

Thanks for the answer!
Raen

The only problem I see in doing that is heat buildup in places it wasn't supposed to be, as you know heat goas up so the heat sinks are placed above the sensitive parts so heat can be evacuated by the fan. You should take that under consideration and also the amount of strain you put on the amp.

#3 rodr@fse_Crown

rodr@fse_Crown
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

We would not recommend Verticle orintation for the reasons Dakos states.  The heat sink in the XLS is mostly convection cooled and the heat disipation is consistant across the entire heat sink.  Inverted the heat will buildup at the top and may cause other components to thermal due to the concept they were not intended to get heat.

There is one product which is engineered for verticle orientation which is the JBL CSA2120 2x120 watt amplifier.  It has similar specs to the XLS Series as it is built on same technology, however it is designed for any orintation.