xls drivecore vs xti2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khasier

khasier
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

hi, i need help deciding which of two crown amplifier the xls drivecore vs xti2 amplifier to get for bridged at 4ohms to push two 8ohms subs. can you bypass the crossover and use an external crossover on the xls drivecore amplifier?. what about when the drivecore amplifier is bridged does it hold up well when driving subs at 4ohms bridged?. thanks

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(khasier @ Jun 2 2012, 03:24 PM) View Post
hi, i need help deciding which of two crown amplifier the xls drivecore vs xti2 amplifier to get for bridged at 4ohms to push two 8ohms subs. can you bypass the crossover and use an external crossover on the xls drivecore amplifier?. what about when the drivecore amplifier is bridged does it hold up well when driving subs at 4ohms bridged?. thanks

Hello and welcome,
Both the XTI and XLS don't excell at 2 ohm stereo or at 4 ohm bridge, if you need to power 2X8 ohm subs, you'd better get a bigger amp and run it at 4 ohm parallel mono. No problem running the XTI or the XLS using external crossiver.  What make and model subs are you powering? Which speakers? What processing do you have?

#3 rodr@fse_Crown

rodr@fse_Crown
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

The XLS 2000 or 2500 is fine to run 4 ohms Bridged.  The 1000 and 1500 are not well suited for subs or bridged 4 ohm but are excelent for Mid/Highs

The XTI 2 Series 2002-6002 will also perform well at 4 ohms Bridged for Subs.

Speaker Nominal Impedance is important as well as understanding the Impedance at different frequencies as not all subs are created equal.  Some will have flat impedance, while others will double and then tripple at some low frequencies.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Have you read this:
http://www.crownaudi...?showtopic=3838

He might be fine and he might not, if the amp decides to thermal protect itself during a show, then I guess it's not so fine!!!

Another thing is that sound quality goes down a bit.

So in order for the amp to operate at 4 ohm bridge or 2 ohm stereo you need to keep a few pointers in mind:
* Fitst and always, Never clip the amp.
* Use the thickest, shortest speaker cables possible.
* Use a HPF to filter out the sound below the -3dB of the subs.
* Try everything at home before any mishaps happens during the show.
This way you might get away with it but not recommended.

Another fine article to read:
http://www.prosoundw...tings/power/P2/

#5 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'd be curious to try it.  At full volume on monitors at 4 ohms per channels, I have checked my XLS 1500 fan and it is toggling between very slow and completely stopped.  The heat emission was very minimal.  I wonder if going to 2 ohms would produce a drastic increase in heat production.  There seem to be ample thermal headroom in the cooling system on those amps.

Of course, on sub duty at a loud techno event in 100 degrees sun, it might be more taxing!  ymmv.