• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ishrios

ishrios
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hey Guys,

I am done with day 1 of a Conference in a local venue which has IT-4000's for running wedges on stage. Wedges are  EAW SM200iH (1 x 12-inch LF) PASSIVE: 500W (4 ohms) - 127dB SPL (long term).
BI-AMPED: (LF) 500W (4 ohms) - 127dB SPL; (HF) 200W (4 ohms) - 130dB SPL

Here is the setup - I am running a single mono aux to channel 1 on the IT-4000 out to 2 wedges in bridge mono mode. Amp is set to input sensitivity @ +21dbu and has a output of 37.1db.

My problem is I seem to not be able to have enough headroom. Im sending more than enough signal from the console to the amp, which means the wedges should be rocking instead it sounds like the signal is hitting a limiter or compressor which is squashing signal without it actually being loud.

I also notices that the metering on the front panel doesn't even pass -20. Any Ideas?

I have no previous experience with these amps.. I have tried scrolling through the menus and I dont notice anything showing a limiter or compressor is active. I also dont understand why the output is only displaying 37.1dbu when the front knobs are turned all the way clockwise.

Based on this info what can I do? is there any way i can get more db of output from these amps.

Thank you in advance for the help. I hope this makes sense.

-Ish

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(ishrios @ May 18 2012, 02:58 AM) View Post
Hey Guys,

I am done with day 1 of a Conference in a local venue which has IT-4000's for running wedges on stage. Wedges are  EAW SM200iH (1 x 12-inch LF) PASSIVE: 500W (4 ohms) - 127dB SPL (long term).
BI-AMPED: (LF) 500W (4 ohms) - 127dB SPL; (HF) 200W (4 ohms) - 130dB SPL

Here is the setup - I am running a single mono aux to channel 1 on the IT-4000 out to 2 wedges in bridge mono mode. Amp is set to input sensitivity @ +21dbu and has a output of 37.1db.

My problem is I seem to not be able to have enough headroom. Im sending more than enough signal from the console to the amp, which means the wedges should be rocking instead it sounds like the signal is hitting a limiter or compressor which is squashing signal without it actually being loud.

I also notices that the metering on the front panel doesn't even pass -20. Any Ideas?

I have no previous experience with these amps.. I have tried scrolling through the menus and I dont notice anything showing a limiter or compressor is active. I also dont understand why the output is only displaying 37.1dbu when the front knobs are turned all the way clockwise.

Based on this info what can I do? is there any way i can get more db of output from these amps.

Thank you in advance for the help. I hope this makes sense.

-Ish

Hello and welcome,
First, you should download tha manual for this amp, it has some pretty sufisticated features and it's very useful when close by.
Now the 37.1dBu is just the maximum voltage gain of this amp so that's what is being shown on the display.

To look at the limiters press the menu button -> press next button untill you see Advanced menu -> scroll down to the peak voltage and average power limiters and check the status of those and turn them off if you want.

What other gear you have connected? Mixer, processor, speakers?
Good luck

#3 ishrios

ishrios
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the help.. My Mixer is a Digidesign D Show - no processor straight to amp then out to wedges.

I have downloaded the amp manual and i am on my way to the venu to tweak it out a bit more.

Do you know what the max value is for setting the input gain on these amps?

Maybe there isnt enough input gain which is making it seem like it is sounding crushed without being loud?

-Thanks again

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(ishrios @ May 18 2012, 08:25 AM) View Post
Thanks for the help.. My Mixer is a Digidesign D Show - no processor straight to amp then out to wedges.

I have downloaded the amp manual and i am on my way to the venu to tweak it out a bit more.

Do you know what the max value is for setting the input gain on these amps?

Maybe there isnt enough input gain which is making it seem like it is sounding crushed without being loud?

-Thanks again

The crushing sound sounds like an improperly tuned limiter. 37.1 is the maximum.
Let me know how it goas...

#5 ishrios

ishrios
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ok so I turned up the input trim and it helped I also switched it to bridge mono mode and that helped a lot as well.

I have 2 wedges linked together and it's getting pretty loud.

I did no see any active limiters or compressors.