49 replies to this topic

#16 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

I think this site will be very helpful for me. Thanks.

#17 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 17 2012, 04:33 AM) View Post
I think this site will be very helpful for me. Thanks.

Link to a 13 page tech document about line arrays, it gives a good explanation about the high frequencies comb filtering (the cancellation and boost effect) but it is the same for your low frequencies question, the reason for it is different, on the high frequencies using the same speakers comb filtering occurs due to speaker placement and room acoustics, on your system the comb filtering occurs due to the difference in frequency response of different speakers (725 Vs 728s) and that overlap in the crossover frequency you wanted to do.

There is no way to eliminate the comb filter effect in the crossover zone (+/- one octave), but we hope it's minimal.

#18 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 13 2012, 11:29 PM) View Post
Thanks a lot for everything, I appreciate it very much. I think I found what I was looking for.
And another thing, is there any app so I can easily find out monitor feedback frequencies precisely?

If you need to handle feedbak, why not use one of those automatic units:
http://www.sabine.com/Pro_FBX2410_index.htm
http://www.dbxpro.com/AFS224/index.php
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ2496.aspx

#19 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello my friend Dakos. Sorry for the delay answering, I was really busy. And thank you for everything one more time, you are the best.

#20 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hello Dakos. I need your opinion once again. What do you think about lamps in speakers?

#21 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(makis @ Jun 13 2012, 08:14 AM) View Post
Hello Dakos. I need your opinion once again. What do you think about lamps in speakers?

Do you mean speakers designed as lamps or lamp in speaker crossover? Can you give me a link to a specific product?

#22 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I mean lamps in speakers crossover. I don't have any link because I'm talking about putting lamps in speakers they don't have by manufacturer, like my SRX. I'm interested because I've had a bad experience with a friends MRX system in a live event.

#23 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(makis @ Jun 13 2012, 09:14 AM) View Post
I mean lamps in speakers crossover. I don't have any link because I'm talking about putting lamps in speakers they don't have by manufacturer, like my SRX. I'm interested because I've had a bad experience with a friends MRX system in a live event.

Look at this thread, especially the replies by Andy Wehmeyer (from JBL) for the posetive and negative aspects of bulbs in crossovers.

The SRX are much more robust but what happended with the MRX setup? did you blew a HF driver?

#24 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Two of them actually. 515. One at a time. I am disappointed of those drivers. Can't push at all for live use.

#25 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Jun 13 2012, 12:18 PM) View Post
Two of them actually. 515. One at a time. I am disappointed of those drivers. Can't push at all for live use.

That's not good, most probable reason is clipping somewhere in the sound chain, other than that it could be too much power going to the speakers, a faulty amp could do this as well. You didn't hear any distortion? Is it a bi/triamp system? What amp is powering them?

#26 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

Those speakers are powered by a digital QSC about 1100 watt at 4 ohms, I don't remember the type. Anyway there was some kind of ups and downs but it was far away from a big deal, besides there was another set of EV (smaller) and they are just fine. After all these my first thought was biamping the tops with a DRPA for some serious limiting/crossing which already have taken place, and my second thought has to do with my question. So any other good advise??

#27 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Jun 13 2012, 01:53 PM) View Post
Those speakers are powered by a digital QSC about 1100 watt at 4 ohms, I don't remember the type. Anyway there was some kind of ups and downs but it was far away from a big deal, besides there was another set of EV (smaller) and they are just fine. After all these my first thought was biamping the tops with a DRPA for some serious limiting/crossing which already have taken place, and my second thought has to do with my question. So any other good advise??

Well, if both drivers were fried by the same amp then that raises my suspicion about this amp being as healthy as it should. 1100W amp should be working really hard to be able to fry this speaker unless it was clipping, did you feed it a full range signal (much easier to clip the amp) or was it working with subs? Then again, if the EV survived then it might not be the amps fault.

I think more experienced people are needed here, are you registered on PSW forum? soundforums.net? You want me to open a thread for you?

#28 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yes there were subs, no there was no clipping, the amp is working perfectly... and there is no need to worry about these two diafragms. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I am interested in putting light bulbs in my system, and I could really use some help since I'm not registered to any of these sites. So if it isn't that hard for you feel free to enlighten me anyway you can, as you always do. Thanks.

#29 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

As I said earlier, this is beyond my knowledge scope so I posted a Q on the PSW forum for you. Here is a link to the thread so you can follow it. I'll update this thread as well when we get some good info. This should be interesting smile.gif

#30 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot for everything.