49 replies to this topic

#1 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum. I own a pair of SRX 725 and a pair of SRX72, I use 2 old amps right now to power them and I'm gona buy new ones. I just want your opinion for what should I be aware of before choosing between Macrotech I and I-Tech. Thanks for your help and sorry if I 've made sth wrong..

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 11 2012, 02:33 PM) View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. I own a pair of SRX 725 and a pair of SRX72, I use 2 old amps right now to play them and I'm gona buy new ones. I just want your opinion for what should I be aware of before choosing between Macrotech I and I-Tech. Thanks for your help and sorry if I 've made sth wrong..

I guess you meant a pair of SRX725 and a pair of SRX728s, correct?

Tough speakers to power but with the correct amps they will sound great.

The main difference between the two is the internal processing built in the i-Tech, if you have a better external processor then the one in the iTech HD then you'd better get the MAi, if you don't then the i-Tech HD have great quality processors in them that render most external processors unnecessary.

One 9000 for the 725 and one 12000 for the 728s is a great match, wether from the ITHD series or the MAi.

#3 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Apr 12 2012, 01:13 AM) View Post
QUOTE(makis @ Apr 11 2012, 02:33 PM) View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. I own a pair of SRX 725 and a pair of SRX72, I use 2 old amps right now to play them and I'm gona buy new ones. I just want your opinion for what should I be aware of before choosing between Macrotech I and I-Tech. Thanks for your help and sorry if I 've made sth wrong..

I guess you meant a pair of SRX725 and a pair of SRX728s, correct?

Tough speakers to power but with the correct amps they will sound great.

The main difference between the two is the internal processing built in the i-Tech, if you have a better external processor then the one in the iTech HD then you'd better get the MAi, if you don't then the i-Tech HD have great quality processors in them that render most external processors unnecessary.

Price difference is not that much to be worth mentioning.

One 9000 for the 725 and one 12000 for the 728s is a great match, wether from the ITHD series or the MAi.

Yes, i meant SRX728s. One 9000 for the 725 and one 12000 for the 728 is exactly what i have in mind, but i don't know yet which type, ITHD or MAi.
I have the Driverack 260. is that good enough to use with MAi? I also want to ask if any kind of conversion AD-DA is taking place in MAi. Do you think I should use the 725 bi-amped, and why?
Thanks a lot for your immediate response and your help too.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 12 2012, 05:28 PM) View Post
Yes, i meant SRX728s. One 9000 for the 725 and one 12000 for the 728 is exactly what i have in mind, but i don't know yet which type, ITHD or MAi.
I have the Driverack 260. is that good enough to use with MAi?

The DR260 is just about to celebrate its tenth birthday now, that's a really long time for any piece of gear, I've posted a question for you on the DBX forum because I think the guys there would be much better at doing a feature comparison between the two combos discussed here.

I also want to ask if any kind of conversion AD-DA is taking place in MAi?

No.

Do you think I should use the 725 bi-amped, and why?
Thanks a lot for your immediate response and your help too.

When biamping, you use an active crossover instead of the passive one in the speakers, buy doing that you gain as much as 3dB but thatís if power to the speakers is limited which is not the case here, you also gain more control to better adjust the crossover frequenquencies and the power to each element in the speaker. The major down side is it's more costly. The thing is that I'm not sure that in your case biamping the 725 should change that much if anything, you probably like the way they sound and you will have more then enough power for them so again, not sure that's the way to go here.

#5 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thank you for posting this question for me on the DBX forum, even though I'm not sure the prices are that low..
After all, if I deside to use them passive what kind of amp should I use for the hights (something near MAi's performance)?
And one last question "what is SIGNAL GENERATOR and what is it's use, in ITHD's DSP in SA?

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 13 2012, 09:44 AM) View Post
Thank you for posting this question for me on the DBX forum, even though I'm not sure the prices are that low..
After all, if I deside to use them passive what kind of amp should I use for the hights (something near MAi's performance)?
And one last question "what is SIGNAL GENERATOR and what is it's use, in ITHD's DSP in SA?

We are talking about new amps only, correct?
Then MA5000i is certainly overpower for this application but if we're going towards a "DSP less" amp system then this is the cheapest amp of the bunch.

You can read about tone/signal generators on wiki, they are mostly used for speaker tests and the ones able to generate white or pink or other color noise help in system configuration, "EQ'ing the room", amp speccing and many more things. Nowadays, a signal generator is usually an iPhone or a laptop with the proper app such as this one.

Now you even have the source for the better prices so no room for doubt smile.gif

#7 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thanks a lot for everything, I appreciate it very much. I think I found what I was looking for.
And another thing, is there any app so I can easily find out monitor feedback frequencies precisely?

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 13 2012, 07:22 PM) View Post
Thanks a lot for everything, I appreciate it very much. I think I found what I was looking for.
And another thing, is there any app so I can easily find out monitor feedback frequencies precisely?

You can use an RTA app such as this one, there are many free RTA apps on the app store, I hope it would pick it up. Come to think of it, isn't the DR taking care of this? It's supposed to be one of its prominent features.

#9 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Apr 14 2012, 07:29 AM) View Post
QUOTE(makis @ Apr 13 2012, 07:22 PM) View Post

You can use an RTA app such as this one, I hope it would pick it up. Come to think of it, isn't the DR taking care of this? It's supposed to be one of its prominent features.

Of course it does, but I use it for front of house spk, and I need this app for stage mon.
Thanks again for everything. You are the best..

#10 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hello, my friend dakos once again. I thought asking for your opinion about MIDAS's VeniceF console. What do you think, heard or experienced of it?

#11 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 16 2012, 02:05 PM) View Post
Hello, my friend dakos once again. I thought asking for your opinion about MIDAS's VeniceF console. What do you think, heard or experienced of it?

Sorry, can't help you there. I just know allot of people are moving to digital consoles. The most popular ones are the Yamaha O1V96i and the PreSonus StudioLive series.

You should post on PSW lab lounge forum. Really great people there with tons of experience.

A quick tip... It will be better when you post there to include your intended usage info like board requirements and applications, desired features, channel count, etc. for the board.

#12 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thanks again for the info. You are the best.
May I ask you, what do you think about my speakers' crossing? Because the presets show a kind of gap between the frequencies, and I don't like it very much.

#13 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 16 2012, 03:41 PM) View Post
May I ask you, what do you think about my speakers' crossing? Because the presets show a kind of gap between the frequencies, and I don't like it very much.

If I remember correctly the crossing also includes a small boost to the lower end which compensates for that gap. The more important thing is how it sounds to your ears. I feel you hesitate to change and fiddle with things, the recommended settings are usually a good starting point to start tinkering. Start to change things and see how it changes the sound, if it's to your liking then keep it, if you don't then go back a step and change something else.

#14 makis

makis

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Apr 17 2012, 12:08 AM) View Post
QUOTE(makis @ Apr 16 2012, 03:41 PM) View Post

If I remember correctly the crossing also includes a small boost to the lower end which compensates for that gap. The more important thing is how it sounds to your ears. I feel you hesitate to change and fiddle with things, the recommended settings are usually a good starting point to start tinkering. Start to change things and see how it changes the sound, if it's to your liking then keep it, if you don't then go back a step and change something else.

I m referring to the HPF of the 725 93,6Hz and LPF of the 728 88,4Hz. Why not let my tops play some of the 60Hz punch, or let my subs play 150Hz (bass guitar etc.) so I gain db?

#15 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(makis @ Apr 16 2012, 04:29 PM) View Post
I m referring to the HPF of the 725 93,6Hz and LPF of the 728 88,4Hz. Why not let my tops play some of the 60Hz punch, or let my subs play 150Hz (bass guitar etc.) so I gain db?

That's actually something you don't want to do, though you can change the crossover frequency to 60 or 150hz, making the hpf and the lpf overlap by that much will cause not only dB boost at some frequencies, it will also cause cancellations on other frequencies, so the outcome is highly unpredictable, 99 out of a 100 the system will sound bad, if you get lucky and are that one percent then you have an OK sound, almost never good or excellent. That little gap also helps dealing with that problem as well.

I'll try to find a web site that explains this better with frequency charts and such later... My son just woke up smile.gif