• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KMo

KMo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hi there,

I'm putting together a multi-zone system with four CDi 1000s controlled by a Russound multi-zone system. The controller has 12VDC 100mA triggers on it for turning off amps when the zone is not in use. I noticed that the CDi amps do not have a trigger in for turning on and off and couldn't find very many mentions of people toggling these on and off remotely.

Are these amps designed to just get left on 24/7?

Is it worthwhile investing in some relays if I can fit it in the budget?

Would it be damaging to switch them on and off a couple times a day or should I just leave them on always?

Thanks,

Kevin

#2 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'm on the opinion that amps can and should be left ON.  Only downside is the additionnal heat generation which may be a problem in hot climates, and the slight iddle energy consumption.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE(KMo @ Apr 9 2012, 11:26 PM) View Post
Hi there,

I'm putting together a multi-zone system with four CDi 1000s controlled by a Russound multi-zone system. The controller has 12VDC 100mA triggers on it for turning off amps when the zone is not in use. I noticed that the CDi amps do not have a trigger in for turning on and off and couldn't find very many mentions of people toggling these on and off remotely.

Are these amps designed to just get left on 24/7?

Is it worthwhile investing in some relays if I can fit it in the budget?

Would it be damaging to switch them on and off a couple times a day or should I just leave them on always?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello,
The correct procedure for turning off a sound system is to turn down the signal from the most upstream device and work your way down to the amp, turn down the volume knobs on the amp, only now you can turn the power off your amp. What you want to do with the relays  is the equivalent of pulling the power cord from the wall during playback, that's not a very healthy thing for your speakers and the amp as well.

I would leave the amps ON like Deromax said.
A.

#4 KMo

KMo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses, I was leaning towards just leaving them on so I'm glad it won't harm them.

I'm up in Vancouver, BC and the building is air conditioned so heat shouldn't be an issue. The electrical savings probably wouldn't justify the expense of setting a relay system up properly either so they're definitely going to stay on!

Thanks,

Kevin