Mono Input without Using "Y" input setting ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hello all,

I'm currently running a Traktor Kontrol S4 directly into a Crown_xti4000 using 1 cable into the crown's channel 1 input.

I have 2 subs (daisy chained) connected via speakon to channel 1's output and and 2 tops (daisy chained) on channel 2's output.

Originally I just used the "Y" setting which would control the gain of all 4 speakers simultaneously via the channel 1 gain knob while also rendering the channel 2 gain knob useless.

The problem is that the Tops start screaming before the subs do therefore I need to have independent control of channel 1 (subs) and channel 2 (tops).

How do I accomplish this while still running everything in Mono ???

Thank you very much for your help
~ meta

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE(metaverse @ Mar 29 2012, 01:13 AM) View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently running a Traktor Kontrol S4 directly into a Crown_xti4000 using 1 cable into the crown's channel 1 input.

I have 2 subs (daisy chained) connected via speakon to channel 1's output and and 2 tops (daisy chained) on channel 2's output.

Originally I just used the "Y" setting which would control the gain of all 4 speakers simultaneously via the channel 1 gain knob while also rendering the channel 2 gain knob useless.

The problem is that the Tops start screaming before the subs do therefore I need to have independent control of channel 1 (subs) and channel 2 (tops).

How do I accomplish this while still running everything in Mono ???

Thank you very much for your help
~ meta

The easiest way to do that is to connect a single cable like you normally did, then another signal cable bridging both channels on the back of tha amp, configure the amp input mode to stereo and you're done.

#3 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Forgive me for my beginners ignorance but i'm not quite following you ... I have no idea how to do that.

Could I just Set input to SUM A + B , instead of Y ??

What if I ran two cables into the amp ??  Would I then have to set it as stereo ??

Would I still be able to use the Subs on channel 1 and the Tops on channel 2 without wrecking the sound?

Would this give me independent control of the subs on one channel and the tops on the other channel ??  

However my PA would then express any panning present within the song , correct ??

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(metaverse @ Mar 29 2012, 04:03 AM) View Post
Forgive me for my beginners ignorance but i'm not quite following you ... I have no idea how to do that.

Could I just Set input to SUM A + B , instead of Y ??

What if I ran two cables into the amp ??  Would I then have to set it as stereo ??

Would I still be able to use the Subs on channel 1 and the Tops on channel 2 without wrecking the sound?

Would this give me independent control of the subs on one channel and the tops on the other channel ??  

However my PA would then express any panning present within the song , correct ??

I thought you were already summing the signal on the computer/playing in mono, if you don't then it would be better to run both channels to the amp and put the input mode on CH1+CH2, it should also sound better.

You should configure the amp to work with the subs on one channel and the tops on the other and have the knobs on both channels working.

This configuration is exactly the same as summing the signal on the computer/playing in mono on the traktor, setting the input mode to stereo and running two cables to the amp or split the signal cable to two channels or routing the cables like I wrote on the first post.
If you sum the signal on the amp you get a 6dB gain so it would sound stronger but it's actually the same.

#5 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Mar 29 2012, 12:29 PM) View Post
I thought you were already summing the signal on the computer/playing in mono, if you don't then it would be better to run both channels to the amp and put the input mode on CH1+CH2, it should also sound better.

You should configure the amp to work with the subs on one channel and the tops on the other and have the knobs on both channels working.

This configuration is exactly the same as summing the signal on the computer/playing in mono on the traktor, setting the input mode to stereo and running two cables to the amp or
split the signal cable to two channels or routing the cables like I wrote on the first post.

If you sum the signal on the amp you get a 6dB gain so it would sound stronger but it's actually the same.

Thanks dakos,

So just to clarify ... (I learn like a 7 year old)

I should run both cables from the Traktor S4 outputs into the crown , channel 1 and 2 inputs - then set input mode to CH1+CH2 with the channel 1 output going to my subs and the channel 2 output going to my tops??

I normally run the limiter at -3db just to be safe and I haven't done any EQ'ing as of yet ...  

You then mention that it'll sound better because it will give me 6db worth of gain and "sound stronger but its actually the same" ??

Will this cause the built-in limiter to start limiting sooner ??

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(metaverse @ Mar 29 2012, 11:03 PM) View Post
Thanks dakos,

So just to clarify ... (I learn like a 7 year old)

That's OK, we all do smile.gif

I should run both cables from the Traktor S4 outputs into the crown , channel 1 and 2 inputs - then set input mode to CH1+CH2 with the channel 1 output going to my subs and the channel 2 output going to my tops??

Yes, but it doesn't matter if subs are on channel 1 or 2 same for the tops, once you decide though you should stick with it because you need to configure the amps built in crossover using a high pass filter on the channel the tops are connected and a low pass filter for the channel the subs are connected.

I normally run the limiter at -3db just to be safe and I haven't done any EQ'ing as of yet ...

I don't know what speakers you have to tell you if it's the correct value...

You then mention that it'll sound better because it will give me 6db worth of gain and "sound stronger but its actually the same" ??

Will this cause the built-in limiter to start limiting sooner ??

You confused two things, it will sound better because of the signal summing, this way you will not lose the audio on one channel, try to play a few beatles songs and you'll understand. It will also sound stronger because signal summing ads 6dB of gain, now stronger is not better, it's just lauder but the gain setting whether done on the front panel volume knobs or with signal summing doesn't change the maximum power output of the amp
Read this to understand better:
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/so...ge%20Gain.1.pdf

#7 metaverse

metaverse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Ok I think I get it ...

So basically I need to volt_meter test my amps outputs to make sure that each individual drivers rating can handle the load ??

Also ... when I set the limiter to say "-3db" on the crownxti4000 should I also be looking to limit the voltage to say 52volts (how?) as well ??

I'm having a hard time deciphering the instructions of the last page ...

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(metaverse @ Mar 30 2012, 01:38 AM) View Post
Ok I think I get it ...

So basically I need to volt_meter test my amps outputs to make sure that each individual drivers rating can handle the load ??

Also ... when I set the limiter to say "-3db" on the crownxti4000 should I also be looking to limit the voltage to say 52volts (how?) as well ??

I'm having a hard time deciphering the instructions of the last page ...

I didn't mean for you to measure your amps voltage/signal gain, you only have one amp so it's not needed, I wanted you to read it so you would have a better understanding what's going on in the amp and why amp gain doesn't change the power output.

3dB and 52volt is the same, it's telling the amp the same setting using a different language.