Help with XTI 6002 - VRX setup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jotabi

jotabi
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

my church recently upgraded our PA system but have no clue on setting it up.  
set up= 4 - vrx932la 4 - vrx918s and 2 - xti 6002.
my question is how to configure set up? i tried wiring it up but didnt have any success even using band manager.. HELP!!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(jotabi @ Mar 28 2012, 09:29 AM) View Post
my church recently upgraded our PA system but have no clue on setting it up.  
set up= 4 - vrx932la 4 - vrx918s and 2 - xti 6002.
my question is how to configure set up? i tried wiring it up but didnt have any success even using band manager.. HELP!!

Hello, fear not, you are in good hands smile.gif
Unfortunently, Band Manager doesn't support the newer XTIs yet, so for remote computer configuration of your system you need to use System Architect instead (also free).

Do you need help with the actual wiring or the sonic configuration of the system? do you have an external signal processor like DriveRack? When did you buy this system? is it possible to swap one of the amps?

#3 jotabi

jotabi
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

thanks for the reply.
yes i would need help on the actual wiring? yes we have a driverack 260. we tried wiring it up just using the preset on the amps and we had nothing coming out of the subs instead lows comes out on the mains.

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(jotabi @ Mar 28 2012, 02:45 PM) View Post
thanks for the reply.
yes i would need help on the actual wiring? yes we have a driverack 260. we tried wiring it up just using the preset on the amps and we had nothing coming out of the subs instead lows comes out on the mains.

Do you have another amp available? Please write to us all the gear you have available (Crown or not) so I can better help you.

#5 jotabi

jotabi
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

1- xti 4002
2- xti 6002
2- jbl srx712m
4- jbl vrx932la
4- jbl vrx918s
1- dbx260
1- soundcraft gb4 mixer

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(jotabi @ Mar 28 2012, 03:16 PM) View Post
1- xti 4002
2- xti 6002
2- jbl srx712m
4- jbl vrx932la
4- jbl vrx918s
1- dbx260
1- soundcraft gb4 mixer

These are all real high quality components. If we do this correctly you will definitely enjoy great sounding system. One configuration just jumps right out of the possible configurations available using these components and that's a tri-amp system. You can google it to find lots of info about what that is, the pros (More power and control) and cons of it (More money but you basically have everything already).

One more thing also jumps right out of the possible configurations possible and that you need more amp power for the subs so first I need to ask you if you think it would be possible to replace one of the amps for a stronger one, preferably replace one 6002?

Just a suggestion, I would advise aginst using the 2x SRX712m so may be you can sell them to pay for the amp upgrade.

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Did you manage? Everything working?

#8 jotabi

jotabi
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

should i run it bi-amp? what does 2+2-1-1 mean?? need help with wiring it up from the amps to speakers..

#9 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(jotabi @ Apr 5 2012, 05:50 AM) View Post
should i run it bi-amp? what does 2+2-1-1 mean?? need help with wiring it up from the amps to speakers..

These numbers are probebly the marking on the speakon speaker connector, look here for further explanation:
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf

I will try to explain the problem in running the system the way you suggest... You want to connect all the 932s to one amp and all the 918s to one amp, that means that each channel will see either 8 ohms if every two speakers are connected in series to the amp, or it would see 2 ohms if the speakers are connected in parallel to the amp.
On the 2 ohm configuration you will get about ten minutes of power before you put the amp into thermal protection.
On the other hand, if you go for the 8 ohm configuration, you don't have enough power for the system and it will not sound it's best and it's a shame cause it's a great set of speakers. Now you see why I still think the best solution is to get better amps to handle the extra demand.

The 8 ohm configuration is the more stable configuration so this is the one I suggest you use.

You need to make two types of cables, four cables of each type:

Type one cable, connects the amp to the first sub/speaker:
On the amp side:
Connect the positive speaker wire to lead (+1) on the speakon.
Connect the negative speaker wire to lead (-1) on the speakon.

On the first speaker side:
Connect the positive wire to lead (+1) on the speakon.
Connect the negative wire to lead (-2) on the speakon.
Connect a wire from lead (-1) to lead (+2) inside the speakon connector.

Now the second type of cable:
On the first speaker side:
Connect the positive speaker wire to lead (+2) on the speakon.
Connect the negative speaker wire to lead (-2) on the speakon.

On the second speaker side:
Connect the positive wire to lead (+1) on the speakon.
Connect the negative wire to lead (-1) on the speakon.

Since these cables are not standard at all you need to clearly mark which connector goas where otherwise it's going to get messy!!!
Use something like this to do the labeling of the cables, just make sure you use heavy duty labeles.

I'll try to draw the whole thing so it would be more understandable.

After you finish connecting everything we need to configure the amps crossover settings to make it all play nicely with each other smile.gif

Another slightly more expensive option is to buy a 8 Channel Speakon Rack Mount 1 RU Space Unit, wire the speakers in series and use regular speaker cables.

Good luck smile.gif